• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azrael5
    replied
    Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
    why wayland? this not work with nvidia
    Because it works with AMD and Intel as well.

Leave a comment:

• JonathanM
    replied
    Originally posted by curfew View Post
    Now I am not really sure why Wayfire could not just be an extension to Weston codebase in order to provide the pluggability and more advanced desktop effects...
    Because libweston was a poor match: https://wayfire.org/2019/02/24/X11-W...n-Wlroots.html

Leave a comment:

• curfew
    replied
    Originally posted by JonathanM View Post
    curfew Did you read https://wayfire.org/2019/01/13/Intro...o-Wayfire.html? It does explain the authors reasons for writing yet another compositor.
    The "answer" provided there only changes the question, not the doubt. There will not be lots of demand for a "common base to build a lightweight, but fully-functional wayland-based DE with minimal effort" when all the major environments are already ported to Wayland for the most part (Gnome, KDE, Enlightenment, Sway, Weston), and those that still are waiting for it probably cannot benefit off this project anyway. (XFCE, Mate, redundant tiling WMs)

Now I am not really sure why Wayfire could not just be an extension to Weston codebase in order to provide the pluggability and more advanced desktop effects...
    Last edited by curfew; 05 August 2020, 10:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• curfew
    replied
    Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
    They are as easily interchangeable as Xorg is, and that is OK as they are what Xorg is in the Xorg world. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about as you compare a component that only ever was a display server with something that does compositing and serves as the display server at once.
    I did not talk about Xorg. Read again.

Leave a comment:

• AsuMagic
    replied
    Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
    because an equivalent exists in the X11 world. that is, X.Org + any compositor like compton. there's isn't on wayland.
    as for nvidia support https://github.com/swaywm/sway/issues/490

Leave a comment:

• andre30correia
    replied

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    If, like Compiz, this can be layered onto other desktop environments, I don't see the problem with this. Compiz brought a lot of attention to the Linux desktop, for better or worse. I have a feeling Wayfire is going to be less broken and more performant.

Besides, features like being able to rotate windows has practical benefits. For example, if you were to run this on a tablet, instead of the entire display rotating whenever you flip it, you could have it so only the windows themselves rotate, while otherwise remaining in the same X/Y coordinate. I don't know if this is necessarily better but it's cool you could get the option. Or for a more practical benefit, you could have a table touchscreen, where people can use 2 fingers to orient a window to face whatever direction suits them best.

I also remember liking the desktop cube, because that was a good way to observe multiple programs from different workspaces, without having to switch between them. Expose is good but sometimes that zooms out too far.

Leave a comment:

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Originally posted by curfew View Post
    Yes I do.
    They are as easily interchangeable as Xorg is, and that is OK as they are what Xorg is in the Xorg world. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about as you compare a component that only ever was a display server with something that does compositing and serves as the display server at once.

Leave a comment:

• royce
    replied
    So you've set up wayfire and sway and their associated apps? Do tell. Because I have, and they're interchangeable.

Leave a comment:

• curfew
    replied
    Originally posted by royce View Post
    You clearly don't know.
    Yes I do.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X