No announcement yet.

Wayfire 0.5 Wayland Compositor Brings Latency Optimizations, More Protocols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I fail to understand the possible real use case for these "compositors". For what I know, they are even less interchangeable than classic window managers on Xorg... So nobody can really use them because they're tied to Gnome or KDE or XFCE and their mandated way for doing things.

I feel that effects should... effectively... be implemented as a protocol that proxies the textures to third party components. This way one could choose what kind of transformations to have regardless of the actual desktop.

Comment

curfew Did you read https://wayfire.org/2019/01/13/Intro...o-Wayfire.html? It does explain the authors reasons for writing yet another compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
        For what I know, they are even less interchangeable than classic window managers on Xorg...
        You clearly don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
          You clearly don't know.
          Yes I do.

Comment

So you've set up wayfire and sway and their associated apps? Do tell. Because I have, and they're interchangeable.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
              Yes I do.
              They are as easily interchangeable as Xorg is, and that is OK as they are what Xorg is in the Xorg world. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about as you compare a component that only ever was a display server with something that does compositing and serves as the display server at once.

Comment

If, like Compiz, this can be layered onto other desktop environments, I don't see the problem with this. Compiz brought a lot of attention to the Linux desktop, for better or worse. I have a feeling Wayfire is going to be less broken and more performant.

Besides, features like being able to rotate windows has practical benefits. For example, if you were to run this on a tablet, instead of the entire display rotating whenever you flip it, you could have it so only the windows themselves rotate, while otherwise remaining in the same X/Y coordinate. I don't know if this is necessarily better but it's cool you could get the option. Or for a more practical benefit, you could have a table touchscreen, where people can use 2 fingers to orient a window to face whatever direction suits them best.

I also remember liking the desktop cube, because that was a good way to observe multiple programs from different workspaces, without having to switch between them. Expose is good but sometimes that zooms out too far.

Comment

why wayland? this not work with nvidia

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                    why wayland? this not work with nvidia
                    because an equivalent exists in the X11 world. that is, X.Org + any compositor like compton. there's isn't on wayland.
                    as for nvidia support https://github.com/swaywm/sway/issues/490

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                      They are as easily interchangeable as Xorg is, and that is OK as they are what Xorg is in the Xorg world. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about as you compare a component that only ever was a display server with something that does compositing and serves as the display server at once.
                      I did not talk about Xorg. Read again.

Comment

Working...
                      X