X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finalzone
    replied
    Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

Because is Phoronix Forums and facts don't matter, only stuff like "i think, my opinion,etc." matter and most poster don't usually have the slightest clue of what the hell they are talking about or have done something completely sinful like actually read the code before let their mouth run off. aka The usual
    Then it will be time to change that perception and make Phoronix forum well backed informative challenging opinions so some posters can really think twice and hard.

Leave a comment:

• cb88
    replied
    Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
    Feel free to try to use a browser from let's say year 2000 and surf any modern website. Hint: it won't work. Applications like browsers and a lot of other categories of desktop applications have all become much more ressource hungry while doing bigger and more complex jobs. Why o why don't people notice that user demand for functionality has risen quite a lot in the last 10 years?
    There is literally nothing on the web that I do that could not be done in 2005 (web store fronts, paying bills, forums, blogs, educational sites etc... )..... Opera 9.63 on a 2x80Mhz supersparc can actually browse the web in a usable if not speedy manner (minus modern SSL). Once you gut most webpages of the 100+ trackers, js and webasm blobs, you end up with hardly anything at all. There is some HTML5 stuff that ends up looking funky in old opera but Netsurf can usually render that and is just as speedy but not quite as usable since it lacks acutal JS support though there is some nascent support.

On that same machine KDE 1 or 2 absolutely flys and is what I would call a bloatware desktop with a bazillion bells and whistles.
    Last edited by cb88; 03 August 2020, 12:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    That's like when people say "read the source code". The Linux kernel has someodd 28 million lines of code. If you read each line for 3 seconds it would take around 2661 years of reading code to finish just the kernel. So the next time someone says "read the sources", remember that with the Linux kernel in 2020 kernel you would have had to start reading it sometime around 600BC just to do a quick, hasty, once-over glance reading of the kernel.
    Not to mention the fact that the kernel changes every day. Even small changes can have an effect, so you don't want to miss out on those.

Leave a comment:

• jrch2k8
    replied
    Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
    Feel free to try to use a browser from let's say year 2000 and surf any modern website. Hint: it won't work. Applications like browsers and a lot of other categories of desktop applications have all become much more ressource hungry while doing bigger and more complex jobs. Why o why don't people notice that user demand for functionality has risen quite a lot in the last 10 years?
    Because is Phoronix Forums and facts don't matter, only stuff like "i think, my opinion,etc." matter and most poster don't usually have the slightest clue of what the hell they are talking about or have done something completely sinful like actually read the code before let their mouth run off. aka The usual

Leave a comment:

• Hibbelharry
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Raka555
    replied
    They should do QA on an RPI, if you get "your system is too slow", it means the software are garbage.

We had machines with FAR less resources than an RPI that ran X-Windows and a full DE just fine and everything were very snappy ...
    Last edited by Raka555; 03 August 2020, 09:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by frank007
    Wayland need to be completely trash-canned. I don't want to stay in front of my PC singing: "You are so beautiful, to me", or "You are so slow, it's me".
    It's also related to X11, so you can utilize your stupid comment now. On the X11 side it should warn people it's legacy, undocumented insecure mess.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    upstream (GNOME)
    GNOME? What GNOME?

This is a nuisance in libinput, not GNOME! Come on -_-

You should have said this!
    upstream (libinput)
    And

your code is any good
    You speak in a negative way, implying failure.
    Changing a simple wording does not even require coding skills, come on.

Edit: Who liked your post?! Who thought blaming the system de facto is a good idea?
    Last edited by tildearrow; 03 August 2020, 08:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    ssokolow tildearrow Don’t like it? Then contribute.
    Have you read the mailing list for the release?

So you may see messages popping up in the form of "event processing lagging behind by XYZms, your system is too slow" This is a warning only and has no immediate effect. Previously we would only notice (and warn about) this when it affected an internal timer. Note that these warnings do not show an issue with libinput, it shows that the the compositor is not calling libinput_dispatch() quick enough.
    ssokolow is perfectly correct in wanting it to blame the compositor since the compositor is the reason for the warning & tildearrow isn't wrong in thinking that people will have an upgrade mentality with that generic of a message.

I also have to point out that "Don't like it? Then contribute." is about as baseless as it gets. In order to do a meaningful contribution you have to have a firm grasp on the programming language, a firm grasp on the project and how it does things, and the time to even get around to it. For a good majority of the world, the best you can expect people to do is to submit a detailed bug report and let the people who have a firm grasp on the language and project fix it.

That's like when people say "read the source code". The Linux kernel has someodd 28 million lines of code. If you read each line for 3 seconds it would take around 2661 years of reading code to finish just the kernel. So the next time someone says "read the sources", remember that with the Linux kernel in 2020 kernel you would have had to start reading it sometime around 600BC just to do a quick, hasty, once-over glance reading of the kernel.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    ssokolow tildearrow Don’t like it? Then contribute.
    Would they even accept it? No, right? Knowing their mentality, I do not think so.

What about I try soon and see? If they refuse, you become a big shame.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X