Libinput 1.16 Released - Ready To Warn You If Your System Is Too Slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libinput 1.16 Released - Ready To Warn You If Your System Is Too Slow

Phoronix: Libinput 1.16 Released - Ready To Warn You If Your System Is Too Slow

Libinput 1.16 is out this morning as the newest feature update to this input handling library used by the Linux desktop on both X11 and Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I still think it should blame the compositor and not your system.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
      I still think it should blame the compositor and not your system.
      I agree. Ugh this is one of the problems they have. If they're slow, no, they say "you are slow".

In the past Linux used to run well, even on old/slow hardware. Now what? Are we going the Windows "upgrade if it is slow" way?!

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        ssokolow tildearrow Don’t like it? Then contribute.
        Would they even accept it? No, right? Knowing their mentality, I do not think so.

What about I try soon and see? If they refuse, you become a big shame.

Comment

ssokolow tildearrow Don’t like it? Then contribute.
          Have you read the mailing list for the release?

So you may see messages popping up in the form of "event processing lagging behind by XYZms, your system is too slow" This is a warning only and has no immediate effect. Previously we would only notice (and warn about) this when it affected an internal timer. Note that these warnings do not show an issue with libinput, it shows that the the compositor is not calling libinput_dispatch() quick enough.
          ssokolow is perfectly correct in wanting it to blame the compositor since the compositor is the reason for the warning & tildearrow isn't wrong in thinking that people will have an upgrade mentality with that generic of a message.

I also have to point out that "Don't like it? Then contribute." is about as baseless as it gets. In order to do a meaningful contribution you have to have a firm grasp on the programming language, a firm grasp on the project and how it does things, and the time to even get around to it. For a good majority of the world, the best you can expect people to do is to submit a detailed bug report and let the people who have a firm grasp on the language and project fix it.

That's like when people say "read the source code". The Linux kernel has someodd 28 million lines of code. If you read each line for 3 seconds it would take around 2661 years of reading code to finish just the kernel. So the next time someone says "read the sources", remember that with the Linux kernel in 2020 kernel you would have had to start reading it sometime around 600BC just to do a quick, hasty, once-over glance reading of the kernel.

Comment

upstream (GNOME)
            GNOME? What GNOME?

This is a nuisance in libinput, not GNOME! Come on -_-

You should have said this!
            upstream (libinput)
            And

your code is any good
            You speak in a negative way, implying failure.
            Changing a simple wording does not even require coding skills, come on.

Edit: Who liked your post?! Who thought blaming the system de facto is a good idea?
            Last edited by tildearrow; 03 August 2020, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007
              Wayland need to be completely trash-canned. I don't want to stay in front of my PC singing: "You are so beautiful, to me", or "You are so slow, it's me".
              It's also related to X11, so you can utilize your stupid comment now. On the X11 side it should warn people it's legacy, undocumented insecure mess.

Comment

They should do QA on an RPI, if you get "your system is too slow", it means the software are garbage.

We had machines with FAR less resources than an RPI that ran X-Windows and a full DE just fine and everything were very snappy ...
                Last edited by Raka555; 03 August 2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Feel free to try to use a browser from let's say year 2000 and surf any modern website. Hint: it won't work. Applications like browsers and a lot of other categories of desktop applications have all become much more ressource hungry while doing bigger and more complex jobs. Why o why don't people notice that user demand for functionality has risen quite a lot in the last 10 years?

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
                    Feel free to try to use a browser from let's say year 2000 and surf any modern website. Hint: it won't work. Applications like browsers and a lot of other categories of desktop applications have all become much more ressource hungry while doing bigger and more complex jobs. Why o why don't people notice that user demand for functionality has risen quite a lot in the last 10 years?
                    Because is Phoronix Forums and facts don't matter, only stuff like "i think, my opinion,etc." matter and most poster don't usually have the slightest clue of what the hell they are talking about or have done something completely sinful like actually read the code before let their mouth run off. aka The usual

Comment

Working...
                    X