Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SWVKC Is A Vulkan-Powered Wayland Compositor Focused On Performance + Correctness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWVKC Is A Vulkan-Powered Wayland Compositor Focused On Performance + Correctness

Phoronix: SWVKC Is A Vulkan-Powered Wayland Compositor Focused On Performance + Correctness

While the current Vulkan API is exhaustive enough to implement full-featured Wayland compositors and X11 window managers, to date there hasn't been too much adoption considering OpenGL is still more pervasive among hardware/drivers and it's obviously a significant effort writing a new compositor from scratch. One of the leading (among few) examples of a Vulkan-powered window manager / compositor is ChamferWM, which does continue to be developed. SWVKC meanwhile is one that has been seeing development this year as an alpha-stage Wayland Vulkan compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm looking forward to KWinFT to implement Vulkan based compositing.

Comment

Cool, a vulkan compositor solves the GBM vs EGLstreams problem

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post
        Cool, a vulkan compositor solves the GBM vs EGLstreams problem
        It still uses GBM..

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

It still uses GBM..
          Is it because Vulkan alone doesn't provide anything alternative? There should be something targeted for WSI for such use case.

Comment

Interesting but I'm not too certain that this is under development as the last serious commit was some time ago.

Comment

Is there some demo distro for this like Rebecca Black OS was for weston? Perhaps some other stupid name like Jonas Bros OS or K-Pop!_OS?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                I'm looking forward to KWinFT to implement Vulkan based compositing.
                I bet they're not

Just imagine all the fun they'll have when we're submitting KWin bugs with a fustercluck of RADV, AMDVLK, and Pro with AMDGPUs

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                  Interesting but I'm not too certain that this is under development as the last serious commit was some time ago.
                  There's a clipboard branch where the last commit was 19 days ago.

Comment

focused on performance and correctness over features
                    What does that even mean? Performance is usually at odds with correctness and features is what most people agree Wayland is still lacking.

Comment

Working...
                    X