Sway 1.5 Wayland Compositor Released With Adaptive-Sync/VRR, New Protocols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
    It's amazing that a hobby project by some guy in his basement produces better results and more featureful, higher quality software than the gnome team
    That is why it is dangerous for things like Gnome to "lead the way" in Linux. People thinking it is "THE" standard desktop does the entire community a disservice.

It is an out-of-date tablet-like interface. Nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

99/100, some guy in a basement has more passion than some guy paid by Red Hat.
      I have a lot of passion too but I still suck at coding, what gives?

Life isn't a Disney movie, even "if your heart is in the right place" you still need time and skills to accomplish anything

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

That is why it is dangerous for things like Gnome to "lead the way" in Linux. People thinking it is "THE" standard desktop does the entire community a disservice.

It being the default or only supported desktop environment for a lot of distributions is why it has that reputation.

What's funny is GNOME in its current form really makes me want to go minimalist after using it for a bit. Not because of any GNOME bloat or speed reasons, but with all the time I use to install and configure all the plugins and extra programs I need to get a workflow I like, I could just as well have used Fluxbox or Sway to get a desktop I like in about the same amount of time.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          I have a lot of passion too but I still suck at coding, what gives?

Life isn't a Disney movie, even "if your heart is in the right place" you still need time and skills to accomplish anything
          But someone who does have the skills, passion, and time can create a wonderful project.

Comment

But someone who does have the skills, passion, and time can create a wonderful project.
            someone who does have the skills and time can create a wonderful project too

Comment

99/100, some guy in a basement has more passion than some guy paid by Red Hat.
              Drew DeVault is a marvel but in recent years the project has morphed into a community-driven one. Look at the past month of commits and you'll see at least a dozen people and ddevault doing more work as maintainer than developer.

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
                It's amazing that a hobby project by some guy in his basement produces better results and more featureful, higher quality software than the gnome team
                Sway had the chance to start from scratch with wlroots relatively recently, so there's no baggage to carry or features to maintain. It's been designed for wayland from the ground up, so it's no surprise it's absolutely spot on.

Comment

Can someone give me any pointers to get installed on Fedora 32, at least the most "official" way? I think their may be a Sway COPR or something, but I am kind of knew to all of these Fedora-isms. Learning, but still relatively new. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

I completely agree. I don't understand why do a lot of people fall for the leader's tricks.

Like what's this?!:
                    - "Firefox is ready"
                    - No minimize button
                    - No theming or even changing the font (without Tweaks)
                    - Keyboard repeat rate in the Universal Access section (rather than the Keyboard section)
                    - Too much air in header bars of non-CSD apps
                    - Buttons all over the place, as if one were to read from bottom to top
                    - Notification area has 01-09 in the calendar (rather than 1-9 which everyone uses)
                    - Icons that make no sense, like the tombstone
                    - Broken by default. Extensions mandatory for any real use.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                      - Broken by default. Extensions mandatory for any real use.
                      Example: no systray functionality, must install extension that enables it using KDE's wayland systray API (so it's not like hard to make, just a political decision)

Comment

Working...
                      X