No announcement yet.

Libinput 1.16 Will Warn You If Your System Is Too Slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You want to know what I really hate about libinput?

Pointer acceleration is pretty much mandatory, and there is no way to turn it off.
    The acceleration profiles make no sense, like "Adaptive"? "Flat"?
    Where is the "no acceleration" profile!!!

Oh, and the libinput config page on KDE is lackluster and unfinished. I can't even precisely set the pointer speed, and even so I think it just sets the acceleration factor...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      then they are doing something too heavy in the input pipeline already.
      Like being swapped out (as in my experience). Which doesn't sound useful to me either. I suppose it is for debugging.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Oh, and the libinput config page on KDE is lackluster and unfinished. I can't even precisely set the pointer speed, and even so I think it just sets the acceleration factor...
        I'm guessing that's why I can't increase the mouse wheel scroll speed through this panel. It seems to take forever to scroll, especially on long web pages.

Comment

My biggest annoyances with libinput is that laptop touchpads click everywhere when you type, and Logitech keyboards with touchpad (K400, K820) require 10N of force to detect two-finger scrolling consistently (no kidding).
          Last edited by andreano; 15 July 2020, 03:34 PM.

Comment

The reason why your system constantly slows down are tools like this one, that informs the user about their slow system.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Mate, XFCE, LXDE/Qt, Enlightenment, and others don't have this problem, and should be a much better choice for a server or a device that has a crappy GPU to begin with
              X11 compositors usually don't have this problem. That's because Xorg handles the input, and it does that in a separate thread. Most Wayland compositors handle input in the main event loop, so if the compositor is busy, input handling stutters.

Originally posted by andreano View Post
              My biggest annoyances with libinput is that laptop touchpads click everywhere when you type, and Logitech keyboards with touchpad (K400, K820) require 10N of force to detect two-finger scrolling consistently (no kidding).
              Maybe it's time to file a bug?

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
                The reason why your system constantly slows down are tools like this one, that informs the user about their slow system.
                Yeah it's better to hide the fact and shame the user if he reports it, like with Apple, or even outlaw it like with Slowlaris the Unbenchamrkable.

Comment

Originally posted by yariv View Post
                  X11 compositors usually don't have this problem. That's because Xorg handles the input, and it does that in a separate thread. Most Wayland compositors handle input in the main event loop, so if the compositor is busy, input handling stutters.
                  Wth, you mean to tell me after all these years, implementors still haven't learned you don't do stuff in the main thread/event loop? I find that hard to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

You're absolutely right. But simple functions get lost in ever growing complexity.
                    You mean that simple concepts get lost in heavily bloated poorly written code.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
                      In my experience, a laggy mouse pointer means you have about 1 second to free up some memory before the computer OOM-freezes. The OOM-killer might step in within an hour, or it never will.
                      Perhaps the new systemd-oomd feature will kill off your misbehaving mouse

Comment

Working...
                      X