Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland's Weston 9.0 Aims For Release In Early September

Phoronix: Wayland's Weston 9.0 Aims For Release In Early September

With Weston 8.0 having shipped in January, Wayland developers are beginning to prepare for the next feature release of this reference Wayland compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    He is planning to tag the Weston 9.0 Alpha at the end of June, a Weston 9.0 Beta in mid-August, and a first release candidate at the end of April
    August, maybe?

Comment

Still no taskbar? OMG how this can be used?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Weston is the reference compositor. In other words, it's a tech demo, or a framework to build upon. It's not for end-users.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          No, but it has an application launcher bar. Unfortunately the position cannot be changed. It would be nice to be able to customize the position to be bottom or top, and maybe even left and right.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

No, but it has an application launcher bar. Unfortunately the position cannot be changed. It would be nice to be able to customize the position to be bottom or top, and maybe even left and right.
            I can live without that. I mean, I'm already using Gnome Wayland and Plasma Wayland without a taskbar.

What I need from Weston is a way to present all windows into a miniature grid when the display gets completely cluttered up with windows. Gnome and Plasma has this feature, but Weston doesn't. And that's what keeps me from using Weston as a minimal GUI session. And there 's also the issue of Weston not functioning at all on all my machines installed with Debian 10; it simply won't start.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

You actually can configure the application launcher to be bottom or top and I think also left and right, from weston.ini

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuweston View Post

You actually can configure the application launcher to be bottom or top and I think also left and right, from weston.ini
                I am not sure that setting works, maybe it does, I haven't used Weston in a long time.
                Either way, an option to have it on left or right side would be cool too. Like Unity had the app launcher bar on the left side.

Comment

Working...
                X