Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sway 1.5-RC1 Wayland Compositor Brings VRR / Adaptive-Sync, New Protocol Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tsih View Post

VRR works on Sway even if you have non-VRR display attached. Well, at least I don't have any problems and there are no bug reports on Github about it.
    How do you know VRR is enabled and working? do you have a graphics hud to indicate this? have you ran specific VRR tests?

I can't tell you how many times I've talked to VRR users claiming its working perfectly to only discover they never had it enabled to begin with. Sometimes ticking the box that says ENABLE doesn't always mean it will enable, linux has quite a strict set of rules for VRR to work, very strict! and it won't tell you when it doesn't work.

I do want to get a AMD GPU once NAVI2 comes out but I suspect their ray tracing component will be a joke compared to NVIDIA's and ray tracing is going to be a huge thing now given even consoles will have it
    (I'm aware consoles will run NAVI2, that doesn't mean they will have all things ray traced like what PC games often get)
    Last edited by theriddick; 26 June 2020, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

How do you know VRR is enabled and working? do you have a graphics hud to indicate this? have you ran specific VRR tests?

I can't tell you how many times I've talked to VRR users claiming its working perfectly to only discover they never had it enabled to begin with. Sometimes ticking the box that says ENABLE doesn't always mean it will enable, linux has quite a strict set of rules for VRR to work, very strict! and it won't tell you when it doesn't work.

I do want to get a AMD GPU once NAVI2 comes out but I suspect their ray tracing component will be a joke compared to NVIDIA's and ray tracing is going to be a huge thing now given even consoles will have it
      (I'm aware consoles will run NAVI2, that doesn't mean they will have all things ray traced like what PC games often get)
      I've confirmed it with my display's HUD, it just works. I don't want to descent into the vendor wars part, this feature is working on Sway, and from my experience there aren't any bugs left.

Comment

Yeah I have a 1080TI and my experience with VRR under linux has been terrible, just a shame I can't test Wayland since NVIDIA pretends that doesn't exist....

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
          Yeah I have a 1080TI and my experience with VRR under linux has been terrible, just a shame I can't test Wayland since NVIDIA pretends that doesn't exist....
          I probably will never by a 1080 TI for this very reason, yet it's still one of my favorite cards on paper.

I've been happy with my rx 480, but it's 4 years old now. With the amount of hours that I use my card I can probably invest in a better power/performance and it will pay itself off.

If you'd get a new card today what would you buy?

Comment

I really wanted a Radeon 7 which you can still find for a ok price sometimes. Its a good alternative to 1080TI and has 16GB of VRAM which yes I've gone over with 4k gaming.

The 20 series IMO is just very beta tester feel, apparently 30 series will be 4x or more ray tracing capability which is going to leave the 20 series in a desolate place.

I'm looking forward to the Big NAVI card but worry that its ray-tracing et al. prowess will not be up to par and feel like how the 20 series is (beta ray-tracing, not quite powerful enough to do rt justice). I may just end up getting a 3080TI or 3090 in the end... I don't want to be trying to use Ray-Tracing and having to disable it all the time because it murders the framerate (which is what the 20 series experiences!).

Comment

Working...
            X