Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sway 1.5-RC1 Wayland Compositor Brings VRR / Adaptive-Sync, New Protocol Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway 1.5-RC1 Wayland Compositor Brings VRR / Adaptive-Sync, New Protocol Support

Phoronix: Sway 1.5-RC1 Wayland Compositor Brings VRR / Adaptive-Sync, New Protocol Support

The first release candidate of the Sway 1.5 Wayland compositor is now available for testing that continues to be inspired by the i3 design while being at the forefront of Wayland capabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So is the adaptive sync support used in Sway the agreed approach for other compositors too?

Comment

Does this VRR work in multi monitor environments? in particular when one monitor doesn't do GSYNC. That was the BIG issue with X11 for me, couldn't use GSYNC when second monitor was connected even if the application wasn't running fullscreen on that second monitor, it just disables gsync all together.

The other issue was this VRR/Gsync function flickered on my freesync1 monitor whereas that flicker did not exist under windows..

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        shmerl There’s not much to agree about.
        There wasn't one way to do it, so either they all agree how to do it in consistent manner, or it will be over all the place in each implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          shmerl There’s not much to share on protocol level. So different compositors different implementations. Consistency comes from sharing.
          Consistency comes from agreeing on approach. Where is that protocol extension they were talking about that was needed for it?

Comment

That sounds good!

Do you know what is the current state of wlroots regarding vulkan support? Can I natively run Vulkan fullscreen applications on Wayland nowadays? Like e.g. SDL Games with Vulkan support like Dota 2.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
              Does this VRR work in multi monitor environments? in particular when one monitor doesn't do GSYNC. That was the BIG issue with X11 for me, couldn't use GSYNC when second monitor was connected even if the application wasn't running fullscreen on that second monitor, it just disables gsync all together.
              AFAIK, that's because multi-display on X11 was one big display / buffer and it just crops from that. With Wayland that shouldn't be an issue anymore, but I don't know for sure.

Comment

Nice to see viewport support - that should help future performance work for firefox, see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1617498

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

There wasn't one way to do it, so either they all agree how to do it in consistent manner, or it will be over all the place in each implementation.
                  Because of the sheer amount of engineering required to develop a compositor for Wayland, there will never be that many. It is not like X11 where anyone can commit to writing a window manager (thus driving innovation).

Because of this lack of variety, "being all over the place" will really just mean two or three different ways.

Comment

As Sway is window manager instead of a desktop environment, those programs that I'm used to use from DE work on it?

Or other programs that might used QT/GTK like firefox, sublime text, vscode, eclipse?

Comment

Working...
                    X