Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME X.Org vs. Wayland Performance + Power Usage On Fedora 32 With AMD Renoir Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by kravemir View Post

Nvidia doesn't need to care about that,... They focus at gamers, and CUDA solutions. Gamers (mostly) use only single monitor to get the best performance. And, CUDA users don't care that much, as they just want to get acceleration working for their projects.

However, I hope AMD gets much better position in the market. I like AMD's OSS support. I wouldn't go with Nvidia GPU.
    Ok, so nVidia doesn't care about its users... And that's a good thing how???

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Umm, your last sentence is total bullshit.

Nvidia drivers have decades old multi-monitor bugs that nVidia still refuses to acknowledge. -By far- a bigger problem is its unbearably slow Xrender acceleration, desktop performance on nVidia is just too damn slow. But nVidia drivers biggest problem is that it's OpenGL implementation isn't even -anywhere- close to compliant with Kronos specs. Nvidia makes NO attempt at all to fix their longstanding multi-monitor bugs and they make NO attempt to improve their horrible Xrender performance and they exacerbate their nonstandard OpenGL every single chance they get.

On the other hand AMD's OSS drivers may not have been full featured until the least few years, but at least they were completely stable and fast and standards compliant since at least 2010, with only a few exceptions pertaining to new product releases.

NOT counting FGLRX, that driver was total garbage.
    Nvidia doesn't need to care about that,... They focus at gamers, and CUDA solutions. Gamers (mostly) use only single monitor to get the best performance. And, CUDA users don't care that much, as they just want to get acceleration working for their projects.

However, I hope AMD gets much better position in the market. I like AMD's OSS support. I wouldn't go with Nvidia GPU.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied

Nvidia drivers have decades old multi-monitor bugs that nVidia still refuses to acknowledge. -By far- a bigger problem is its unbearably slow Xrender acceleration, desktop performance on nVidia is just too damn slow. But nVidia drivers biggest problem is that it's OpenGL implementation isn't even -anywhere- close to compliant with Kronos specs. Nvidia makes NO attempt at all to fix their longstanding multi-monitor bugs and they make NO attempt to improve their horrible Xrender performance and they exacerbate their nonstandard OpenGL every single chance they get.
    Thats because they were mainly X11 bugs, AMD also had similar issues.

Regarding OpenGL spec, they don't follow the OpenGL spec completely because a lot of games don't follow it either. I mentioned it in some other thread.

On the other hand AMD's OSS drivers may not have been full featured until the least few years, but at least they were completely stable and fast and standards compliant since at least 2010, with only a few exceptions pertaining to new product releases.

Even the open source drivers currently have a lot of issues. Note that I have been running X11 + Nvidia on a laptop with multiple displays for the past decade. The biggest issue I have experienced is actually optimus/render offload.

Note that I typically ran KDE if that makes a difference.

Leave a comment:

• cRaZy-bisCuiT
    replied
    Actually native Wayland Firefox vs native X11 Firefox vs native Windows Firefox would be nice. What about Benchmarking native Wayland SDL Game vs native X11 Game vs natitve DX on Windows Game ... e.g. Dota!?

PS: There're other features to consider as well except for just performance, Wayland brings many improvements whs to video playback, scrolling in browsers and gameplay in regards to image consistency.
    Last edited by cRaZy-bisCuiT; 16 June 2020, 06:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• reba
    replied
    Originally posted by ArchLinux View Post
    So Wayland sucks or tests suck?
    Tests (kind of) suck.

Michael is comparing
    - Firefox (Window Protocol x11) -> XWayland -> Wayland (Mutter)
    versus
    - Firefox (Window Protocol x11) -> X11

when we just wanted to see
    - Firefox (Window Protocol wayland/drm) -> Wayland (Mutter)
    versus
    - Firefox (Window Protocol x11) -> X11
    Last edited by reba; 16 June 2020, 03:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by Tvashtar View Post
    Michael , are you purposely trying to mislead the readers? It should be noted that you're not using native Wayland, Firefox has clear advantages under it nowadays, in the form of hardware video acceleration to name one.
    Besides anybody who used it natively knows how smooth it is comparatively.
    Firefox under X11 has Xrender acceleration disabled by default. Enable that and smoothness problem goes away. Why Xrender is disabled is totally beyond me though, at least as far as end user perception goes it seems to work just fine.

Leave a comment:

• Tvashtar
    replied
    Michael , are you purposely trying to mislead the readers? It should be noted that you're not using native Wayland, Firefox has clear advantages under it nowadays, in the form of hardware video acceleration to name one.
    Besides anybody who used it natively knows how smooth it is comparatively.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

I use X11 with video acceleration and have zero issues. The problem (if there is one) with video acceleration has nothing to do with X11/Wayland but rather the fact we have 3 competing libraries for video acceleration plus the fact you have to manually patch things like chrome/chromium on Linux if you even want video acceleration.

NVidia + X11 has historically worked very well. AMD with X11 was terrible up until a few years ago

Last edited by duby229; 15 June 2020, 11:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by johnp117 View Post

Maze solver Wayland was run 3 times, whereas X11 was run 5 times (see the `N` in the benchmark graphs).
    Thanks, that makes sense.

I was pretty sure my legit question was going to get missed among all the flamewar material going on, so I appreciate someone noticing.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by Volta View Post

The fact is you have no clue. Alt+Tab broken, video acceleration broken etc.
    I use X11 with video acceleration and have zero issues. The problem (if there is one) with video acceleration has nothing to do with X11/Wayland but rather the fact we have 3 competing libraries for video acceleration plus the fact you have to manually patch things like chrome/chromium on Linux if you even want video acceleration.

NVidia + X11 has historically worked very well. AMD with X11 was terrible up until a few years ago

Leave a comment:

Working...
X