Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME X.Org vs. Wayland Performance + Power Usage On Fedora 32 With AMD Renoir Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ArchLinux View Post

You're talking about your post #39. I quoted your post #12.
    The point was Wayland is quite young. It also matters when Gnome, KDE, Firefox started implementing it. X is 30 years with us and it's still far from perfect.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArchLinux View Post

Well, I actually think native Wayland works more fluently.
      Wayland is not a thing that works more fluently than some other thing. It's a protocol.

Comment

• Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        it seems to display the Wayland session tests in the 4th/5th charts ending much faster than X11?
        Maze solver Wayland was run 3 times, whereas X11 was run 5 times (see the `N` in the benchmark graphs).

PSPDFKit WASM scored higher on Wayland and finished slightly faster, so nothing wrong. I suppose separate test runs can also be slightly differentially delayed based on waiting for the system metrics (e.g. temperature) to become stable between runs.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomas View Post

And what is it that you believe is missing? And please don't say "network transparency"?
          Someone mentioned "color management" earlier. That is currently proposed as a protocol extension:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ager-Calibrate
          https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...il/040431.html

So that is at least one thing that is currently missing. Anything else?
          Well, first of all, there is Hogsberg's own words on the matter...
          https://www.linux-magazine.com/Onlin...ayland-So-Long

And then, there is proof in the pudding, so to speak. Take input lag as a perfect example, Gnome's solution to input lag is a cgroup rule that causes the processor to power up and brute force it and even just -moving the mouse curser- powers up the CPU. That's not a solution, that's a disgusting hack. And even then under CPU intensive loads input lag can become unbearable, where moving the mouse curser can have -multiple seconds- of lag.
          Last edited by duby229; 15 June 2020, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by blacknova View Post

Maybe but they behave quite strange with multi-monitor configs. So I usualy don't use them. Most annoying thing is switching workspace with multiple monitors - mutter switches workspance on one minotor only, and I'm not sure at all how to make it to switch both monitors at once or just switch it on second monitor as necessary.

And this have nothing to do with either X11 or Wayland, since it behave the same on both.
            I'm only on page 6 of the comments so far (of 16), but this is configurable in Gnome Tweak Tool (a.k.a. Advanced Settings). Go to the Workspaces vertical tab > Display Handling > select "Workspaces span displays".

I use it to bind my 2 desktop monitors and the laptop screen into one large workspace. Then when I use the workspace switcher, all of the displays switch together.

Comment

• Originally posted by Volta View Post

The point was Wayland is quite young. It also matters when Gnome, KDE, Firefox started implementing it. X is 30 years with us and it's still far from perfect.
              I think the real point is that X11 works now and has worked for decades and Wayland doesn't and never did. And the -only- way to run -almost all- things on Wayland (and with a seriously degraded experience) is -WITH- X11. So yeah, I think I'll settle for "far from perfect".
              Last edited by duby229; 15 June 2020, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                tildearrow What made you think your feelings are important?
                I have never said so!

Nobody wants to lose compatibility! Ask companies and Average Joe.

Only some hardcore Linux and Apple fans don't care about compatibility.
                Last edited by tildearrow; 15 June 2020, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Volta View Post
                  A typical tactics from Phoronix. He didn't dispel doubts regarding benchmark. As a few people noted it was probably XWayland benchmark. There are dozens of comments, google bots will notice and the revenue will be higher.
                  Not bots,... All the people, who read comments page by page, and each page shows tons of ads. These ads generate quite an amount of money. And,.. What's the best way to get lots of comments? ... What about making some benchmarks comparing two technologies with the most flame war going on... ?

Comment

• Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                    tildearrow Nobody wants to lose compatibility. Nobody wants to maintain compatibility. Entropy wins. Bye compatibility.
                    Bye Linux on Desktop.

Now what made you think your feelings are important?! (Note: saying "facts" makes you look like a huge liar, so it will not count)

Comment

• Originally posted by caligula View Post
                      Any suggestions where and why they might have spent the extra space? Michael's results show a significant increase in memory use.
                      I can't say. You'd have to ask the Gnome guys. I know I pore over memory footprint for EFL and E regularly from massif through to pmap through to a custom tool I wrote to show all pages in all mapping and if they are read-only, not even mapped in or dirty. I do it often enough to have some idea where the memory goes, but I can't say for Gnome.

Comment

Working...
                      X