Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME X.Org vs. Wayland Performance + Power Usage On Fedora 32 With AMD Renoir Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

Modern GPUs use 4 bytes per pixel even when not using the alpha channel.
    True, but it still doesn't even come close.

Comment

• Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Well, for the time being, with all its problems, X is better simply because it works where Wayland implementations still don't. That's my #1 criterion for deciding which software is better (as a user), everything else take a back seat.
      But you are right pointing out there are more ways to look at this.
      Like I said, there are reasons X11 is better. I don't fault anyone for using it, I fault people who wrongly attack Wayland or have a superiority complex by using X11.

Comment

• Originally posted by raster View Post
        188M. So X11 vs Wayland:

Code:
        RAM SHR BUFF
        X11: 160M 61M 278M
        WL: 98M 35M 131M
        WL/X11: 61% 57% 47%
        So... about 40% or BETTER memory savings for WL vs X11.
        Any suggestions where and why they might have spent the extra space? Michael's results show a significant increase in memory use.

Comment

• Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Like I said, there are reasons X11 is better. I don't fault anyone for using it, I fault people who wrongly attack Wayland or have a superiority complex by using X11.
          Why do you have to fault them? Is there any scenario where wrongly attacking (anything) or having a superiority complex (about anything) is to be commended?

Comment

• Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Why do you have to fault them? Is there any scenario where wrongly attacking (anything) or having a superiority complex (about anything) is to be commended?
            Yes because to every person that goes into a confirmation bias trap and puts themself into a corner where they only can look stupid if they accept that they were wrong and then start to argue despite they know it deep down at some point that they gone to far or it's not true what they say, they push it because their ego tries to protect them by not accepting the truth anymore, because not be seen as stupid becomes more important than being right. So first it's a bit sad that something in their live a dramatic event made them so insecure that it created that ego to feel save, but even more than that, some other people that came in neutral or only slightly leaning in their direction start adopting their arguments and believe them.

So they then waste valuable time creating stupid projects like Devuan instead of spending their time doing something more useful for the community, like as example create something like silverblue for debian or help the teams that create reproducable builds and stuff like that.

But it goes even further than that, this people and people that fall for that then fight a lot say how horrible that all is, and then potential windows people say, look at this bunch of angry people fighting nonstop, then again I said maybe less linux users would be good to have less such people that are ignorant but then it becomes a circular argument, to not discurage new users you want less users, which makes not that much sense .

But last but not least yes logicall maybe it makes no sense to argue against ignorance, but it annoys me, just because you can't fix a problem doesn't make you not care about that anymore. Sure if we are all good students of buddha that detachment would be great, but that takes lots of time and training to get there.

Comment

• So Wayland sucks or tests suck?

Comment

• Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

Yes because to every person that goes into a confirmation bias trap and puts themself into a corner where they only can look stupid if they accept that they were wrong and then start to argue despite they know it deep down at some point that they gone to far or it's not true what they say, they push it because their ego tries to protect them by not accepting the truth anymore, because not be seen as stupid becomes more important than being right. So first it's a bit sad that something in their live a dramatic event made them so insecure that it created that ego to feel save, but even more than that, some other people that came in neutral or only slightly leaning in their direction start adopting their arguments and believe them.

So they then waste valuable time creating stupid projects like Devuan instead of spending their time doing something more useful for the community, like as example create something like silverblue for debian or help the teams that create reproducable builds and stuff like that.

But it goes even further than that, this people and people that fall for that then fight a lot say how horrible that all is, and then potential windows people say, look at this bunch of angry people fighting nonstop, then again I said maybe less linux users would be good to have less such people that are ignorant but then it becomes a circular argument, to not discurage new users you want less users, which makes not that much sense .

But last but not least yes logicall maybe it makes no sense to argue against ignorance, but it annoys me, just because you can't fix a problem doesn't make you not care about that anymore. Sure if we are all good students of buddha that detachment would be great, but that takes lots of time and training to get there.
                Uhh, what? Well, welcome to this world, where facts are more scarce than skepticism.

By the way, Grammarly lights up your entire post.

Comment

• Originally posted by royce View Post
                  Fair. These tests are pretty useless though unless you're comparing apples to apples, which means using whichever native backend instead of a native backend vs a go-between like xwayland.
                  Oh, are you not merciful?

Comment

• Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                    X11 is dead.
                    Latest release 2-3 months ago: https://xorg.freedesktop.org/release...erver/?C=M;O=D

Comment

• Originally posted by Volta View Post

It's so old Gnome and KDE didn't even fully implemented it yet. Your trolling [blah blah]
                      It was released in 2008. Before Obama was elected. The first time. In fact the same month even as Google Chrome and Android.
                      Last edited by ArchLinux; 15 June 2020, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X