Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME X.Org vs. Wayland Performance + Power Usage On Fedora 32 With AMD Renoir Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Mistakes like what? To X11 fanboys: can you explain why 30 years later I still can't use alt+Tab with Quake live in Steam? Under Wayland it works just fine.
    I'm not an X11 fanboy, but that works fine for me. It didn't when I first started using Linux years ago, but it got fixed eventually and now works fine for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I keep hearing that car infotainment systems use Wayland, yet it's QNX that is powering a lot of car entertainment systems (esp. in the well-known car brands) and that number keeps growing every month. So no, Wayland is *not* broadly supported by car manufacturers.

AGL is supported by more than 150 members, including 11 automakers, who are working together to develop the AGL Unified Code Base (UCB) platform, a shared software platform that can serve as the de facto industry standard for infotainment, telematics, and instrument cluster applications. Sharing an open platform allows for code reuse and a more efficient development process as developers and suppliers can build once and have a product work for multiple automakers.

Comment

I'm not an X11 fanboy, but that works fine for me. It didn't when I first started using Linux years ago, but it got fixed eventually and now works fine for me.
        So it's broken again. At least under Gnome X11.

Comment

Yet they all signed contracts with BlackBerry to use QNX. Why would they use two OS's on car infotainment systems?

Comment

So it's broken again. At least under Gnome X11.
            That's GNOME's fault then. Working fine for me on Plasma 5, TDE, DDE and Enlightenment (all X11). X11 isn't perfect and I don't mind seeing it die, but don't blame it for things that outside factors (in this case the crappy GNOME desktop) break.

Comment

Yet they all signed contracts with BlackBerry to use QNX. Why would they use two OS's on car infotainment systems?
              Maybe for different purposes?

Comment

That's GNOME's fault then. Working fine for me on Plasma 5, TDE, DDE and Enlightenment (all X11).
                With Quake live? It happens after switching workspace.

Comment

X11 and Wayland aren't comparable. Wayland has a tiny niche scope and only serves as a small component as part of a much larger X11 implementation. Think of it as more a replacement for DirectFB than anything large scale.

I am a little curious why Wayland isn't superior when it comes to these results... On what planet does cutting out so many features not yield better power usage? Is it because Wayland is still young and unoptimized?

Comment

Maybe for different purposes?
                    Look, they might invest in AGL, but the reality is that most car manufacturers are using QNX. They're only investing in AGL to have an alternative should something happen to BlackBerry or QNX. Kinda like how Samsung has Tizen ready for phones should something happen to Google or Android. A few smaller players like Subaru are actually using AGL, but that's still quite a niche compared to QNX's market share on those systems.
                    Last edited by Vistaus; 14 June 2020, 12:19 PM.

Comment

With Quake live? It happens after switching workspace.
                      Ah, you didn't tell me it had to with workspaces. I only use one workspace. Next time you're trying to put the blame on something, be more specific from the get-go.

Comment

Working...
                      X