Microsoft Is Writing Its Own Wayland Compositor As Part Of WSL2 GUI Efforts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Hmm, if RDP works well with their wayland compositor... Linux has absolutely lost the battle when it comes to enterprise and thin client deployments.
    AFAIK, Gnome was looking to implementing this feature too - allowing you to RDP into gnome.

Comment

Reading this thread is funny. Today, after 25 years of not giving the slightest thought to what Linus Torvalds thinks about GNU/Linux desktop environments, suddenly I'm supposed to care very deeply. Because Windows does everything right and never has any instability. Or something.

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post

I've been using and developing with Linux for roughly 25 years now. While up to Vista, Windows desktop had been far less stable than Linux, after Windows 7 things changed a lot.

And yes, fragmentation is still insane, most Linux desktop apps look different and have inconsistent shortcuts, and no one really seems to give a FF.
        Yeah and least of all who cares about consistent look and feel is Gnome. That's certainly true. But open source isn't a dictatorship and projects can feel free to do what they want and how they want to do it. If projects like Gnome don't give a care about consistency, then use KDE which definitely does care. Options abound. Make a choice.

Comment

Windows has a pretty low bar, indeed.

The sad part is that Linux desktop manages to not even get above that bar. Even copy paste doesn't work consistently across apps in Linux.

And the default and most popular environment for Linux desktop is still X11. Bastardized technology, but there's nothing better yet.
          Yeah exactly, there is nothing better than x11. That's kinda the whole point.

EDIT: Calling the evolution of a software project "bastardized" is kinda stupid. Yes, x11 evolved over time, it had to. Obviously. It's the reason why it's still the best display system available today, still....
          Last edited by duby229; 20 May 2020, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Now you have the proof that microsoft loves Linux .
            Possible Future:
            Windows = The better implemented Linux
            Maybe even Windows for Android....
            Then Linux will have like nearly 100% market share
            Maybe Linus will become a full time microsoft employee

Ok, not very likely that scenario, but it would be a lot of fun .

Comment

Originally posted by frank007

Really, without xwayland?
              With XWayland of course. XWayland isn't going away, but X is no longer needed. XWayland does the job. X is bloated, insecure mess that was holding Linux back for a long. However, there were no replacement..
              Last edited by Volta; 20 May 2020, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Yeah exactly, there is nothing better than x11. That's kinda the whole point.

EDIT: Calling the evolution of a software project "bastardized" is kinda stupid. Yes, x11 evolved over time, it had to. Obviously. It's the reason why it's still the best display system available today, still....
                Have you actually looked at the X11 architecture?

X11's design is so shitty that the people maintaining it have given up on reforming it, and instead work on Wayland. That's why I call it bastardized. It's insecure by design (an app can screw another app on the same system easily; granted there's a secure extension in Xorg, but proper security is rarely achieved by adding an extension).

You really should watch this video from 2013:

Please note, that I don't own this video. At the time servers hosting original file were overloaded so I re-uploaded for user's convenience.Original file was...

You can skip to 7:20, though he explains in that time why he's qualified

Quotes:

(about x11) "A mechanism for any client to enforce its idiot wishes on everyone"

"Programming X is like reading one of those French philosophers where afterwards you start wondering whether you know anything for sure" Thomas Thurman

"Why would you fix anything if you can work around it?"

There's more, but I won't spoil it.

This video also gives a clear idea as to how disorganized and corrupt free software projects can be.

Hopefully Wayland is fully functional before we get fusion power.

Look, if you're a true believer in X11 I don't think I can convince you otherwise (Koolaid and all).
                Last edited by vladpetric; 20 May 2020, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Firstly, there are many linux desktops and Secondly -MOST- of them are more stable than Windows. (stable as in it doesn't crash too bad)

From a quality perspective, Windows is a malware trap. Literally tens or hundreds of thousands of windows computers crash or lockup hard requiring a reboot every single day due to malware.
                  I dual boot on Windows (mainly due to gaming) and I haven't gotten a crash in like 7 years. Linux is a different story (of course this depends on your OS/Distro/Kernel that you use).

Originally posted by Volta View Post

X was a dead end. What I am seeing is Linux desktop on Wayland, systemd, built around Gtk4. Flatpak needs to mature. However, Atom is java based afaik and maybe that's a culprit.
                  Honestly wtf are you smoking, most of your posts are nonsense.

Atom is based on Electron/Javascript, its got nothing to do with Java. Furthermore a lot of Java apps are highly stable (even though this is off point). Finally Atom is completely stable on platforms other than Linux.

Linux desktop compared to anything comparable is in trash state. Ever since Windows Vista (where Microsoft redid their while graphics/GUI architecture) and from Windows 7 (when the graphics drivers stabilized), Windows has been ultra stable (not a single crash since Windows 7) and the performance of gaming/desktop/GUI is miles ahead of Linux.

I mean come on, Windows is even able to update the graphics driver without rebooting now, try that with Wayland/X11.

Linux desktop stack is still having to deal with immature attitudes when it comes to debating things like GBM/EGL rather than learning from technically superior solutions.
                  Last edited by mdedetrich; 20 May 2020, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Hopefully Wayland is fully functional before we get fusion power.
                    It's quite close with Fedora 32.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

I dual boot on Windows (mainly due to gaming) and I haven't gotten a crash in like 7 years. Linux is a different story (of course this depends on your OS/Distro/Kernel that you use).
                      On my PC Windows is also quite stable, but on friend's laptop and PC it was crashing constantly.

Comment

Working...
                      X