Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAIWINS Is A Compact Wayland Compositor

Phoronix: TAIWINS Is A Compact Wayland Compositor

For those on the hunt for another lightweight Wayland compositor option, TAIWINS is the newest option...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Somewhat related: there's also the lightweight "Cage" compositor https://github.com/Hjdskes/cage which runs a single wayland application fullscreen, ideally suited for e.g. Kodi.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
      Somewhat related: there's also the lightweight "Cage" compositor https://github.com/Hjdskes/cage which runs a single wayland application fullscreen, ideally suited for e.g. Kodi.
      That's wlroots based is it not?

Comment

It's funny (not in a bad way) how most Wayland compositors seem to be aimed towards tiled windowing.

Comment

Wayland compositors sad fact:
          99% Tiling
          1% Stacking (where Gnome is the only stable one and not missing at least taskbar/dock)

Comment

Originally posted by moriel5 View Post
            It's funny (not in a bad way) how most Wayland compositors seem to be aimed towards tiled windowing.
            Wayland hasn't been all that usable or stable for novice users.

Comment

Weston does not work on two of my four Debian 10 installations, so this Weston-based compositor is out of the question for me.

Besides, TAIWINS does not solve the main problem I have been having with Weston: no taskbar for window management, and no way to show all application windows in a Mac-style Expose when the workspace is cluttered with tons of windows, while Gnome Wayland and Plasma Wayland have the WinKey and Ctrl-F9 respectively for that.

Thus I'm still stuck with Gnome Wayland or Plasma Wayland for a usable stacking Wayland compositor.

Comment

yeeeeeei more fragmentation!
                2020: the year of the Linux desktop imploding into thousand shards

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
                  yeeeeeei more fragmentation!
                  2020: the year of the Linux desktop imploding into thousand shards
                  fragmentation implies anyone is going to use this. It's going to be used by the same people who use IceWM or other basic building blocks to make their own GUI.
                  Everyone else will still keep using the same DEs that exist

Comment

Originally posted by moriel5 View Post
                    Quite frankly, I'm starting to think a tiled windowing compositor is somehow superior. I always cover all possible space with windows anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X