• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

And Red Star OS

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      Over 200 "new" bug reports on bugzilla, with the oldest being August 2019, and most seem to have been reported within the past 3 months. Maybe it's great support, I don't know. Maybe "in progress" would be a more apt description. And when you say "the likes of Fedora Workstation" - which others are using it as the default? I see Debian's Gnome spin, and that's it, maybe I'm missing something. Ubuntu tried a few years ago and failed, so they got their community test distribution - whoops I mean Debian - to be the test guinea pig.

"Gnome has great Wayland support" is quite fine.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

"Gnome has great Wayland support" is quite fine.
        Those 200+ bugs are on Fedora alone.

Comment

One day Nvidia, Wine, And XFCE will support wayland. One day...

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
            Maybe next time
            Well... At least they solved the memory leak problem!

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
              May I suggest not taking delivery of any Korean food you can't remember ordering.

Comment

Those 200+ bugs are on Fedora alone.
                fair enough:

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
                  Good point - but "Wayland is only half as buggy as Xorg" isn't exactly a reason to be trumpeting the "great support" of Wayland on Gnome, not to mention that most Fedora users are still doubtlessly unable to even use Wayland due to older hardware and DEs other than Gnome. I still think "a work in progress" is a good description.

But, call it what you like, Gnome is not my DE, so I have no horse in the race. I would just occasionally like to see a bit more reality and accuracy used when describing RedHat and Ubuntu projects, rather than the misplaced over the top propaganda that we've seen on nearly every tech website for nearly 15 years now. When those projects fail, which they frequently do, there would be fewer users disrupted if their expectations weren't upended.

Comment

Good point - but "Wayland is only half as buggy as Xorg" isn't exactly a reason to be trumpeting the "great support" of Wayland on Gnome, not to mention that most Fedora users are still doubtlessly unable to even use Wayland due to older hardware and DEs other than Gnome. I still think "a work in progress" is a good description.
                    The people answering were just using exactly your arguments....

But, call it what you like, Gnome is not my DE, so I have no horse in the race. I would just occasionally like to see a bit more reality and accuracy used when describing RedHat and Ubuntu projects, rather than the misplaced over the top propaganda that we've seen on nearly every tech website for nearly 15 years now. When those projects fail, which they frequently do, there would be fewer users disrupted if their expectations weren't upended.
                    Wayland is no ubuntu or Fedora project. It's a project of the xorg guys, who want to leave their old cruft aside.

Comment

Good point - but "Wayland is only half as buggy as Xorg" isn't exactly a reason to be trumpeting the "great support" of Wayland on Gnome
                      Let's start with the fact that neither properly accounts for bugs. Simply searching for a word in bugzilla yields results for all sort of things that happen to mention the keyword. That is a useless measure. In order to account for it properly, you need to sort by components related to what you are looking for, then filter out things like feature requests, misfiled bugs, duplicates, packaging changes, upstream release monitoring auto filed bugs, trackers and so forth. It is substantial work to gather such metrics accurately and to put it properly in context, you will have to keep in mind which configuration is default and what feature set it exposes etc

Comment

Working...
                      X