• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Prepare EPUBs and PDFs are on the TODO list
    Well then we don’t have a book do we. I went to the site to download to me E-Book reader and found nothing compatible. It isn’t unreasonable to expect something more than a bunch of web pages if a “book” is being advertised.

The thing here is that this is exactly what one wants in a book form and not as a web site.

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    To go with my "Motif Programming: The Essentials and More"
    Next to your "Programming the Display Postscript system with X"?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    So, no books?

Leave a comment:

• ids1024
    replied
    For example, C and C++ is an open standard and there are many (expensive) books on that.
    Unfortunately, this isn't really true. ISO standards are not free, or particularly cheap (over $100 for a PDF of the C standard).

But your general point holds.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by frank007 View Post

The question is: why should we buy a book for a freely available open-source project?
    There are many Linux related books and most of them are not free, so I don't see any sensation here.. If you can read code like a book then you don't have to buy books, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied

The question is: why should we buy a book for a freely available open-source project?
    I've always advocated reading the official docs instead of random "hello world" tutorials. But there are instances when you need to learn about good practices in an area quickly, without getting into the nitty-gritty details. In (preparation for) those instances, I have forked out cash for physical books.
    It's not nice when the software changes and your hard copy doesn't, that makes it way harder to sell programming books these days.

Leave a comment:

• Serafean
    replied

If this came out as a physical copy, I would certainly buy it. To go with my "Motif Programming: The Essentials and More"
    You might help it getting there. https://www.lulu.com/ , If you help the author to push it through there, you might get it.

Leave a comment:

• Setif
    replied
    Sorry.
    مستواي في الإنكليزية لا يسمح لي بتوضيح سؤالي.
    خاصة وأن البعض يتظاهر بعدم فهم السؤال ويبدأ بإعطاء أمثلة لا علاقة لها بالموضوع.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by George99 View Post

I don't see any PDF download either. Maybe because it's work in progress with a lot of text still missing.
    Prepare EPUBs and PDFs are on the TODO list

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    I cannot find any book. Where is it?

It's also linked in the article.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X