X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frank007
    replied
    Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

So how do you feel about books teaching physics or math? The original developer isn't writing any books and since only the original developer can understand anything about how anything works, there shouldn't be any books on math or physics, right?
    You are wrong. Every new method or invention is explained by the author. Unless he want to keep them secret.

Leave a comment:

• cipri
    replied
    Originally posted by novhack View Post

Did you read the article? The author is the creator of WLROOTS and Sway. The first is the most advanced Wayland library for compositor development and the second is an amazing Wayland i3 compatible alternative. He most likely has more knowledge on how to develop Wayland based software than anyone other than Wayland creators themselves.
    I did check waylad documentation of source codes, I wrote a wayland client... and was working on own wayland compositor... till I noticed... that wayland is crap... and that I should not waste time on promoting crap. Check their official documentation of the wayland protocol... then check any rfc you find there outside... and notice the difference. The wayland documenation is mostly just a collection of comments from the source code of the reference implemenation.

Leave a comment:

• jo-erlend
    replied
    Originally posted by frank007 View Post

Just for you.
    Or are you talking about my English? I don't know the English language.
    So how do you feel about books teaching physics or math? The original developer isn't writing any books and since only the original developer can understand anything about how anything works, there shouldn't be any books on math or physics, right?

Leave a comment:

• frank007
    replied

This is complete nonsense.
    Just for you.
    Or are you talking about my English? I don't know the English language.

Leave a comment:

• jo-erlend
    replied

I've already written in another post that this work must be done by the wayland's inventors. Otherwise a programmer don't know how to proceed, and starts inventing (a make buggy things).
    This is complete nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• frank007
    replied

Because you want to learn. That's what books are for. I'm really confused by this question.
    I've already written in another post that this work must be done by the wayland's inventors. Otherwise a programmer don't know how to proceed, and starts inventing (a make buggy things).

Leave a comment:

• jo-erlend
    replied

The question is: why should we buy a book for a freely available open-source project?
    Because you want to learn. That's what books are for. I'm really confused by this question.

Leave a comment:

• bison
    replied
    Originally posted by ddevault View Post
    I am the author of this book...
    Thanks for the book!

Leave a comment:

• AndyChow
    replied
    For those that want a pdf or whatever today, just clone the read-only repo, go to /src, you'll see a bunch of md files. Those are markdown, so use your favorite converter to generate epub or pdf. For pdf, I would use
    Code:
     pandoc $Chapters -t latex -s -o Wayland_book.pdf
    , where $Chapters is the .md file list in the order you want. The -t latex will give you a really nice typography Yes some .md files are in subfolders and the order of the md files is not alphanumeric, but if you want the book as pdf or epub you can definitely generate that list inside 20 mins. Yeah, it's painful to have to do such task, but so is documenting anything. If the first one to do it shares that list then the job is halfway done.

I didn't double check, but I think the first level list is
    Code:
    Chapters="introduction.md SUMMARY.md acknowledgements.md protocol-design.md libwayland.md wayland-display.md registry.md surfaces.md xdg-shell-basics.md surfaces-in-depth.md seat.md xdg-shell-in-depth.md clipboard.md protocol-extensions.md"
    What's missing is all the stuff in the subfolders which will have to be placed in the right sub-sections. I gave up because I don't want the book myself, I was just irritated by the complainers.

Originally posted by ddevault View Post
    I am the author of this book. I think it is very silly to doubt that I lack the qualifications to write it, I am one of maybe a dozen people worldwide with comparible levels of experience with Wayland. If you find any errors, tell me about them, and I will correct them.

As for whether or not it "has any value"

Thanks for sharing the link to my book, Michael.
    Thank you for writing this book. So many project have no documentation or it's a bunch of copy/paste from freenode chats between devs. Incredible that people have the audacity to complain about this, but hey, welcome to the internet where everyone's a critic.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Originally posted by miabrahams View Post
    Drew DeVault is a powerhouse. The Linux desktop community is lucky to have him.
    He reminds me of Linus in many ways, we are lucky to have them.

ddevault: Thanks for access to the book and the hard work on the projects and welcome to Phoronix.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X