Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wayland Book Is Now Freely Available

Phoronix: The Wayland Book Is Now Freely Available

For those wanting to learn more about the inner-workings of Wayland and its architecture, The Wayland Book is now freely available for all to learn from for moving past the X11 world on the Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is actually pretty great. It reminds me of those books (back in the 90s) instructing how to connect to the low level Xlib or xcb.
    This kind of knowledge is very useful for developers to have rather than just using something like Gtk.

If this came out as a physical copy, I would certainly buy it. To go with my "Motif Programming: The Essentials and More"

Originally posted by Setif
    Just a question (no sarcasm) :
    Who would spend money to buy a book about an opensource protocol ?!
    Someone who makes money by developing software on-top of an open-source protocol.
    Think companies like Qt, Inflight Entertainment systems, VR Compositors for industrial applications.

For example, C and C++ is an open standard and there are many (expensive) books on that.
    Last edited by kpedersen; 05 May 2020, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Who would spend money to buy a book about an opensource -Linux only- protocol ?!
      People who develop GNOME, KDE and pretty much every other Linux desktop? Graphic drivers developers, input device driver developers, toolkit developers... Quite a lot of people in fact.

Comment

Who would spend money to buy a book about an opensource -Linux only- protocol ?!
        Think of this analogy: you can paint the free accessible grand canyon and sell it to others. This does not violate the fact that the object grand canyon is "free/open whatever". Nor is it immoral to sell the painting.

The same with the book you pay for the work of the author not for wayland. Its the representation/compilation of the knowledge which creates the value not the topic.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

People who develop GNOME, KDE and pretty much every other Linux desktop? Graphic drivers developers, input device driver developers, toolkit developers... Quite a lot of people in fact.
          This is one is free, because it is of very little value. Very likely the author saw no chance of monetizing. Glimpsing throw it, it is mostly copy paste what what you already find on the web. I have doubts that wayland will be a long term success. After a very hard birth, a fast death should come just natural.

Comment

Originally posted by cipri View Post

This is one is free, because it is of very little value. Very likely the author saw no chance of monetizing. Glimpsing throw it, it is mostly copy paste what what you already find on the web. I have doubts that wayland will be a long term success. After a very hard birth, a fast death should come just natural.
            Did you read the article? The author is the creator of WLROOTS and Sway. The first is the most advanced Wayland library for compositor development and the second is an amazing Wayland i3 compatible alternative. He most likely has more knowledge on how to develop Wayland based software than anyone other than Wayland creators themselves.

Comment

A lot of negative mo'fo's around here lately

How many people have looked at it? I did. It's like the rust-lang.org book; meaning it's awesome. If only more projects, languages, and protocols had documentation like that.

Thanks Drew.

Comment

The question is: why should we buy a book for a freely available open-source project?

Comment

I did. Why?

Comment

I cannot find any book. Where is it?

Comment

Working...
                    X