Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Wayland Book Is Now Freely Available

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Setif

    C/C++ is multiplatform wide-used language while Wayland is Linux-only (1% of desktop users).
    There is a big difference between them, I don't think a college student will buy a book about Wayland.
    I have seen books about heavy isotopes and its synthesis with particle accelerators in my institute ...the audience of this books is even smaller maybe only a few people (institutes) world wide. This books had a few 1000 of pages. The price of it afaik was in the range of a few thousands €. Does this fact make it obsolete ...hell no. Its the compilation of the knowledge which is worth it.
    The work of a few people putting it into that very book. Which has maybe 10 - 50 copies?
    Dig into scientific books the more specialized the topic will be the more expensive it becomes. Because less people will read it. But the fact that publishers are printing it and selling it for this price will tell the worth of it.
    The ordinary college student does not need this books - the specialists do. The reason why college students have usually "cheap" books ist the larg number of copies.
    Last edited by CochainComplex; 05-05-2020, 09:30 AM.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by frank007 View Post

      The question is: why should we buy a book for a freely available open-source project?
      Hardcopy some people prefer it. (I prefer digital but thats only my perferation). Printing costs money - have you ever printed some pages by yourself ?

      Comment


      • #13
        I fail to see why a good book about software development has anything to do with the fact whether or not the software stack in question is open source. Do you understand the entire Linux kernel by just pulling the git and reading the code? Quality documentation is worth a lot (measured in the very scientific unit of fucktons) if you actually want to get into something. Not sure if this particular book is good or not but I can certainly see people involved with the Linux graphic stack wanting this or something like it.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
          I fail to see why a good book about software development has anything to do with the fact whether or not the software stack in question is open source. Do you understand the entire Linux kernel by just pulling the git and reading the code? Quality documentation is worth a lot (measured in the very scientific unit of fucktons) if you actually want to get into something. Not sure if this particular book is good or not but I can certainly see people involved with the Linux graphic stack wanting this or something like it.
          I have the impression those guys never digged deep enough to have to rely on good specialised books. Unfortunately not everything can be explained/documented in a short wiki article or a youtube vid like "short introduction to python".

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by frank007 View Post
            I cannot find any book. Where is it?
            I don't see any PDF download either. Maybe because it's work in progress with a lot of text still missing.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by Setif

              C/C++ is multiplatform wide-used language while Wayland is Linux-only (1% of desktop users).
              There is a big difference between them, I don't think a college student will buy a book about Wayland.
              Are you aware that all modern car infotainment systems are Linux embedded systems? Do you understand that Wayland isn't only protocol for Linux desktop? Do you understand how free market works? If you specialise in something you will be paid more than person that is just writing code. This way if someone in quality control finds some bug, person that knows how low level stuff work will be able to debug much faster.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by frank007 View Post
                I cannot find any book. Where is it?
                https://wayland-book.com/

                It's also linked in the article.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by George99 View Post

                  I don't see any PDF download either. Maybe because it's work in progress with a lot of text still missing.
                  Prepare EPUBs and PDFs are on the TODO list

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Sorry.
                    مستواي في الإنكليزية لا يسمح لي بتوضيح سؤالي.
                    خاصة وأن البعض يتظاهر بعدم فهم السؤال ويبدأ بإعطاء أمثلة لا علاقة لها بالموضوع.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

                      If this came out as a physical copy, I would certainly buy it. To go with my "Motif Programming: The Essentials and More"
                      You might help it getting there. https://www.lulu.com/ , If you help the author to push it through there, you might get it.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X