Ubuntu 20.04 Gaming Performance Across Desktops, X.Org vs. Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by frank007 View Post

Nazifascim wasn't a movie. As italian, I can say much much more, I know the History.
    It's not about the movie. How can you not be aware of this song?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hans Bull View Post

One may differ.
      In fact, Trump is the USA president.

Comment

• Originally posted by Volta View Post

It's not about the movie. How can you not be aware of this song?
        I don't know the English language very well, so I'll give you an answer in the Italian language (please use Google translator - I've just verified the translation):
        Il 25 aprile è in Italia l'anniversario della liberazione dal nazifascismo. Questa canzone venne creata dopo la liberazione e venne successivamente associata ai partigiani italiani. Da quello che so, questa canzone ha travalicato i confini italiani per diventare un simbolo contro il nazifascismo in molte parti d'Europa.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank007 View Post

I don't know the English language very well, so I'll give you an answer in the Italian language (please use Google translator - I've just verified the translation):
          Il 25 aprile è in Italia l'anniversario della liberazione dal nazifascismo. Questa canzone venne creata dopo la liberazione e venne successivamente associata ai partigiani italiani. Da quello che so, questa canzone ha travalicato i confini italiani per diventare un simbolo contro il nazifascismo in molte parti d'Europa.
          This is exactly what I meant. This song seems to be a symbol of anti-fascism in Italy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
            Who ever invented a fairy tale that Wayland should have more performance?
            This test compares Xorg games with Xorg games, so it compares Xorg with Xorg. Also an idiot understands this simple obviousness.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hans Bull View Post

Italy now has Coronafascism and no one cares.
              Italy has the better Prime Minister in the last century. He is competent, learned in laws matters, poliglotte, and an honest person. When you talk about fascism you don't know what you are talking about making stupid comparisons. As many countries in the world, Italy is in emergency condition providing extraordinary measures so to avoid the danger of the virus in order to reduce the nasty effects of the pandemic such as preventing people from death which has reached over 26.000 people until now. Try to avoid stupid demagogy informing yourself.

Comment

• Well, that was an interesting rollercoaster of a forum thread.

Nice to see sway tested for once. I hope to see it included in more tests such as this one, Michael. It's basically wlroots's flagship, for now. It wasn't present in the later tests, though (unigine, xonotic), I wonder why.

I'd like to see wayland-native games (ran with SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland, for instace), to compare. Even if just one or two open source games, as that should be fairly representative across the spectrum, already.

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post

Well, it depends. Some games may gain "Wayland nativeness" for free, for example if they are based on SDL2, which has added Wayland support in recent versions. Though it also depends on how the game is distributed, i.e. it is very common for games to come with all their libraries, including SDL2. And static linking makes it impossible to upgrade SDL2. Which is to say that it may be possible in some cases to upgrade SDL2 for some games in some distributions.

I think that on Steam SDL2 is part of the Steam platform, not the individual game, but I might be wrong. Anybody know for sure?
                Static (and dynamic) linkage can be overriden by SDL with SDL_DYNAMIC_API=/my/actual/libSDL-2.0.so.0 (more info at the link)

Comment

• Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

Italy has the better Prime Minister in the last century. He is competent, learned in laws matters, poliglotte, and an honest person. When you talk about fascism you don't know what you are talking about making stupid comparisons. As many countries in the world, Italy is in emergency condition providing extraordinary measures so to avoid the danger of the virus in order to reduce the nasty effects of the pandemic such as preventing people from death which has reached over 26.000 people until now. Try to avoid stupid demagogy informing yourself.
                  LOL. Sheeple gonna sheeple

Comment

• Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                    birdie have you ever used gnome with wayland ? it is much snappier and "micro tearing free". At the moment I have a navi 10, multiple intel igpu running on wayland. and a nvidia quadro t1000 running on gnome with x11. even with the latest driver 440.82 and full sync pipeline thingy on the x11 gnome is less smooth then all the other cards with wayland - even the igpu on the very same device is snappier. Of course if I switch back from wayland to x11 I have the same behaviour on amd and intel aswell. This are different rigs and different distros. I'm very sensitive to microlags, stutter etc fps ...but some people arent so maybe you are not able to recognise it?
                    Or maybe it's just your experience.
                    I've used Gnome+Wayland for about 15 minutes a couple of weeks ago, and I already had lags and artifacts, and apps not working... It's also my own little experience.
                    Everyone has a different experience. If it works for you, fine, use it then and be happy with it! But don't bury your head in the sand like an ostrich. There are literally dozens of users reporting lags, artifacts, apps not working (SMPlayer), slow games or with artifacts, and other broken use cases and workflows. This only is enough to demonstrate it is not mature enough to be mainstream, hence default, except for early adopters.

I was a big fan of the pulseaudio project when it was announced several years ago, in case the usual wayland fans lack of arguments would point resistance to change, but here it's just not working for me and many others yet. It will probably be another 3-5 years before it is for the common users (meaning no tinkering to solve issues).

Comment

• Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
                      Instead of indulging in the same old flame wars, how about trying to reproduce the alleged performance gap? I did, but can’t reproduce any significant difference with Unigine Heaven / Superposition on Xorg vs GNOME Wayland (with Navi 10). Giving Michael the benefit of the doubt, there may be some kind of setup-specific issue. But there’s certainly no such huge difference in general. It’s mostly the same xserver / Mesa / kernel code being measured in both cases after all.

P.S.

GBM has nothing to do with the kernel, it’s a userspace library provided by Mesa and some proprietary driver stacks.
                      The benefit of the doubt has nothing to do with it. By your comment, you're still pointing to why Wayland is not mature. It might work for you, but by the simple fact of existing in several reported cases... bugs, lags, artifacts and non working apps are enough to demonstrate it is not mature, stable, but instead acting randomly depending on everyone's experience. You can't push forward something that doesn't act reliably. Wayland will certainly have its long era of glory, but it's just not now yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X