Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox Performance On Wayland Is Looking Good - Browser Benchmarks With KDE vs. GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
    GREAT.
    I wish NVidia would get their act together and fully support Wayland already.
    Well they already "support" Wayland with EGLStreams (which both KDE and Gnome support) but Sway for example actively refuses to work with NVidia (in fact sway tries to detect if you have the NVIDIA blob module installed and if it does it actively refuses to launch which can cause issues if you have Intel integrated graphics + NVidia GPU, i.e. laptops).
    Last edited by mdedetrich; 20 April 2020, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
      GREAT.
      I wish NVidia would get their act together and fully support Wayland already.
      You and a lot of other people. Meanwhile, Nvidia's job is to provide a driver that will give access to the hardware. Whatever people write on top of that driver is hardly Nvidia's turf.
      NB Gnome Wayland works on Nvidia and Nvidia did provide patches for Kwin. Only the patches were not accepted.

Comment

Wyaland will allows linux operating systems to improve so much when every programs and application implement it deprecating X11. Programs based on X11 make slow linux operating systems.

Comment

Anyone know where to find reliable latency comparisons between X and Wayland? I'm curious as long as they exclude gnome and KDE... Minimal stuff only.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            Wyaland will allows linux operating systems to improve so much when every programs and application implement it deprecating X11. Programs based on X11 make slow linux operating systems.
            The only problem with that statement is the Wayland compositors run on top of the OS. So there's little they can do to improve it
            As benchmarked several times already, moving to Wayland does not improve performance. When I point that out, I'm being constantly reminded that's supposedly not a goal of Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Well they already "support" Wayland with EGLStreams (which both KDE and Gnome support) but Sway for example actively refuses to work with NVidia (in fact sway tries to detect if you have the NVIDIA blob module installed and if it does it actively refuses to launch which can cause issues if you have Intel integrated graphics + NVidia GPU, i.e. laptops).
              This is bullcrap.

GNOME and KDE on EGLStreams sucks hard, XWayland doesn't work and won't work because Nvidia. This isn't a case of "won't work with Nvidia", it's a case of "write 10000s of lines of code for the open source drivers, which are supported by Intel, AMD and more" and "write 10000s of lines of code for the Nvidia blobs".

Nvidia wants everyone else around them to do more work because they don't want to follow the same rules as everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

The only problem with that statement is the Wayland compositors run on top of the OS. So there's little they can do to improve it
                As benchmarked several times already, moving to Wayland does not improve performance. When I point that out, I'm being constantly reminded that's supposedly not a goal of Wayland.
                Performance isn't the goal of Wayland, but Wayland does make it easier to achieve performance gains that would be difficult under X.

Hardware compositing here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Actually, Wayland allows the potential for more performance. Yes it is not its main purpose, but removing the middleman and most of the hacks that come with it will allow much room for other optimizations.

Comment

I really want to use Firefox on Wayland, but I'm a Gnome user and the Wayland session is a no go for me due to the hardware cursor lag. I know it's going to take a big reworking of Gnome to address that, but given how fast Gnome X11 has become, it's difficult to watch a mouse cursor freeze and lag on even high end hardware. I really hope Gnome can address this sooner than later because I'd love to move to Wayland as the experience outside of the mouse cursor is first rate, at this point, for daily computing. Firefox scrolling is silky smooth under Wayland and with video decode now a reality, the benefits of going Wayland are substantial.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Actually, Wayland allows the potential for more performance. Yes it is not its main purpose, but removing the middleman and most of the hacks that come with it will allow much room for other optimizations.
                      I'd say raw FPS isn't really what Wayland is going for though, and that's the direction most of Michael's tests go in. Wayland should be more about increasing responsiveness, reducing overhead, and extending battery life.

I'd be more interested in a test where someone drags the border of an app around to cause constant resizing and seeing how that affects the display of the app, rather than just counting the fps inside a game and acting like that's the main goal of Wayland.
                      Last edited by smitty3268; 21 April 2020, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X