Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Continuing To See More Wayland Improvements, Fixes To Dolphin

Phoronix: KDE Continuing To See More Wayland Improvements, Fixes To Dolphin

KDE developer Nate Graham is out with his weekly development recap one day early in highlighting the most recent improvements and new capabilities to this open-source desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope they finally fix hanging thumbnails.so processes.

Comment

"Logging out on Wayland will no longer crash KWin"

And they wonder why KWin had to be forked....

Comment

KDE Frameworks 5.70 brings support to various applications for viewing The Gimp's XCF file format.

Brilliant news, been waiting for this fix for the newer XCF format.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

I imagine the next change log will be:
          -KWin no longer crashes when launching a Wayland app.
          -Plasma has been fixed to accept a Wayland session.

Comment

I was experimenting Kubuntu 20.04 for about a week on Wayland. I was impressed. No crashes, no big shenanigans, apart from the copy/paste thing. Last year things looked bad, but now, there were times I even forgot I was on Wayland. And on gaming, the title that got me some trouble was the SCS's Truck Simulators, with a buggy mouse behavior, but this game have input problems on its own even on X.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              Looks like Martin Floser is pretty unhappy about the Kwin forks. Blog wars.
              And that's a big win for users. At least someon is working on KWin issues instead of doing redesigns and other very important stuff. I don't care whether my System Settings is a list or icon grid, but I do care when KWin crashes after I exit a Steam game (this does not happen on any other environment on the same system).

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                Looks like Martin Floser is pretty unhappy about the Kwin forks. Blog wars.
                Actually, he was polite about stating his disagreement regarding the fork, so calling it a "war" is just a bunch of silly nonsense. Of course you didn't link to it, since the blog itself contradicts your description of it. Here it is: https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/bl...04/on-forking/

Of interest from his blog post is this, however:
                Also I must say that if I wanted to write a new Wayland compositor I would not fork KWin. KWin started as an X11 window manager and those roots will always be there. In our decision on how to handle the transition to Wayland this was a central aspect as we still have to provide an X11 window manager for those who cannot and do not want to switch. Thus we needed to evolve KWin instead of starting something new. But for a Wayland first compositor I would not start with KWin.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

The exact opposite - obviously, the issue could be fixed in the current code base, no need for a fork.

Comment

I very happy about all the improvements to Plasma Wayland! More than expected this week. The real pain points for me are still the subsurface issues and the not working copy & paste support in Firefox Wayland. The fixes for Gtk are nice too, but mostly I got rid of all Gtk apps as they just do not look nicely integrated (I know, they don't want this).

I wonder if anybody is still developing Kmail, at least on my systems it refuses to work with IMAP and Wayland is completely broken.

I think it is great to have kwinft around as a playground for many important kwin redesigns.

Comment

Working...
                    X