Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KWinFT: KDE's KWin Forked To Focus On Better Wayland Support, Modern Technologies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
    Funny how all quotes of my comment prove my comment was right in the first place.
    "The protocol is production ready!!!11111" means shit if you cant use it in production…
    IF you refer to the wayland protocol (otherwise please elaborate), it is production ready and this has been proven by Sway and Gnome. However, some DEs (Kwin) and proprietary driver support (Nvidia) need more work.
    This does not mean that DE+Wayland can be used in specific production environments, e.g. if KDE is the only acceptable DE for you, or for example I need Nvidia/CUDA on a workstation.
    However, that does not say much about Wayland. Example: if you must use MS office (or Adobe tools), you tend to have a hard time on any Linux distro. Still, Linux is production ready .. I think

Leave a comment:

• k1l_
    replied
    Funny how all quotes of my comment prove my comment was right in the first place.

"The protocol is production ready!!!11111" means shit if you cant use it in production…

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    What can I say? You posted an answer that didn't answer the question that was asked, and it was a GNOME-related answer. No wonder I thought you were a 144Hz clone.
    The question was will "will Kwin support Nvidia driver." The answer is no, don't hold your breath, this is difficult - see Gnome. Sorry you did not get it the first time.

I'm neither Gnome or KDE, I mostly want the DE to go out of my way. That being said, people get on my nerves that are stuck in a KDE vs. Gnome mindset. This is not the 90s. They are both great for what they do. However, if you want to know about Wayland/EGLstreams, Gnome is your only reference that tried seriously.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by mppix View Post

Civilized people tend to query when the correlation of an answer and question is illusive to them. You seem to refrain to a mediocre attempt to bullying. Bad luck.
    What can I say? You posted an answer that didn't answer the question that was asked, and it was a GNOME-related answer. No wonder I thought you were a 144Hz clone.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Does this sync the compositor to the vsync signal like kwin-lowlatency does? (And actually like the other platforms do as well, Windows and macOS.) Whenever someone tries to use a timer to sync like kwin does, you always get stutters. kwin-lowlatency is perfectly smooth, just like the Windows and macOS compositors.

Leave a comment:

• Steffo
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Not invented here syndrome.
    Actually it's not Invented Here Syndrom. Mir uses modern C++ and is desktop agnostic. There is no other Wayland compositor out there which has these properties. Actually Roman Gilg replied to my question and he might consider this option:

Announcing the birth of the KWinFT project, a reboot of the window manager KWin and its accompanying libwayland wrapping library KWayland in the form of Wrapland. Its first release is available now.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by Steffo View Post
    It's maybe a stupid question, but why is he not supporting Mir? It uses modern C++, is Qt-free and desktop-agnostic.
    Not invented here syndrome.

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    Great. Another 144Hz clone who likes to post unrelated GNOME stuff in a KDE thread. Shoo, shoo.
    Civilized people tend to query when the correlation of an answer and question is illusive to them. You seem to refrain to a mediocre attempt to bullying. Bad luck.

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by d3coder View Post

Nvidia is 60% of gpu marketshare.
    I anticipate the question - who cares? Roman's employer cares.
    Intel is market leader in GPUs. Of course, Nvidia has leading gaming performance and is well established in computing (cuda).
    As of the fourth quarter of 2023, Intel was the biggest vendor in the PC GPU market worldwide, occupying 67 percent of the market.

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by sl1pkn07 View Post
    this not answer my question
    As others have pointed out, "no." Translated, KWin & forks are highly unlikely to have decent Nvidia driver support on Wayland anytime soon. KWin & fork needs work on vanilla Wayland with GBM. Also, there is no guarantee that EGLstreams will ever work well unless Nvidia actively participates and/or changes its attitude with the open source community (see Gnome's status).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X