Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KWinFT: KDE's KWin Forked To Focus On Better Wayland Support, Modern Technologies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While it'd be far better for everything to happen upstream, Kwin progress has just been too slow, more so since Martin left. I've been trying every major release for 3-4 years on "Plasma (Wayland) (Wayland)" session and finding too many tiny bugs that make it unusable for me. In many ways it's very close to very good but in the current release I got several web browser's GUIs becoming unresponsive, context menus in my IDE (Goland) being invisible, and dragging in Gwenview very often crashing the application (admittedly, that's Gwenview, not Kwin's fault).

I'm trying it for a few days after a .1 or .2 release but having to go back to X11. In the meantime I may just give this fork a try.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      qarium No CLA on this fork. That comes naturally because the original code is 100% Copyleft with no CLA.

He also tries to minimize Qt usage. That’s a big plus.
      It's a KDE component, not a Qt component. KDE does the same thing as the FSF, for the same reasons, and signing it is optional. I'll quote Wikipedia on that front:

KDE uses Free Software Foundation Europe's Fiduciary Licence Agreement[37] of which (FLA-1.2) states in section 3.3:
      FSFE shall only exercise the granted rights and licences in accordance with the principles of Free Software as defined by the Free Software Foundations. FSFE guarantees to use the rights and licences transferred in strict accordance with the regulations imposed by Free Software licences, including, but not limited to, the GNU General Public Licence (GPL) or the GNU Lesser General Public Licence (LGPL) respectively. In the event FSFE violates the principles of Free Software, all granted rights and licences shall automatically return to the Beneficiary and the licences granted hereunder shall be terminated and expire.[38]

However, it is optional and every contributor is allowed not to assign their copyright to KDE e.V.

-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contri..._Agreement#KDE

Comment

Pinging Michael
        I forgot to strip the URLs from a Wikipedia excerpt again.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

Gnome has been working on this since quite some time and it is sill more or less in alpha status. Seems nontrivial..
          https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/Wayland/NVIDIA
          Great. Another 144Hz clone who likes to post unrelated GNOME stuff in a KDE thread. Shoo, shoo.

Comment

Originally posted by d3coder View Post

Nvidia is 60% of gpu marketshare.
            I anticipate the question - who cares? Roman's employer cares.
            LOL. That's 60% of Linux gamers, not 60% of the total amount of Linux users.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

in some countries most of laptops come with dual graphics intel/nvidia
              AMD is a bit scarce, I'll give you that one, but I have yet to see any country where the majority of laptops have dual graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by lectrode View Post
                Looks like the dev is already working with Manjaro distro devs to make it easily/quickly accessible.
                Great and with the high quality bug reports without debug symbols from Manjora this will really benefit.

Distros without debug symbols are cancer to open source.

Comment

We need Vulkan support to KWinFT!

Comment

It's maybe a stupid question, but why is he not supporting Mir? It uses modern C++, is Qt-free and desktop-agnostic.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

the big problem here is simple, Mir was working much better than wayland before they give up and one question why should everyone use Red Hat software? Same thing, mir was a great project with big and fast improvements and oriented to the end user not like Wayland or X
                      Actually, the problem is: Canonical was first to jump on Wayland bandwagon. Then urged others to use this Display-Server to replace XServer. After more and more people started working on Wayland, Canonical dropped it and started Mir. Then expected everybody else to drop Wayland as well and jump on the Mir bandwagon. Which didn't happen. Now Mir is using Wayland as well.

So think again.

Comment

Working...
                      X