Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KWinFT: KDE's KWin Forked To Focus On Better Wayland Support, Modern Technologies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

You know exactly know what he meant. Too bad the implementation as a whole is not ready.
    I do everything from playing games to web browsing under under Gnome Wayland all the time quite happily. I only can't use it on my Nvidia computer. This will be solved next year when I make a new comp and get rid of everything Nvidia. The implementation is ready on everything non-nvidia, there are improvements to be made sure but its mostly just programming things to adapt to doing things in a way that obeys system security

Comment

This sounds fantastic and I wish Roman all the best with this approach. I'm probably one of the view kwin wayland users and I can confirm that it didn't get the necessary attention. Kwin got better with every release on Wayland, but really slowly. And often the real issues or small annoying things required for feature parity get delayed again and again.
      Creating now a fork and focussing on a clean and modern implementation with Wayland in mind seems like the best approach. As others said already I too would like to see at some point a Vulkan backend replacing OpenGL

Comment

n00b Q:

is it likely that this fork becomes Kwin6 and the existing codebase continues on as Kwin5?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
          n00b Q: is it likely that this fork becomes Kwin6 and the existing codebase continues on as Kwin5?
          Short answer to your question, no the fork is basically it's own project. A new project leader means new perspectives.

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
            I still remember back then, when Kwin guys were lying that wayland is production ready already and mir was just nonsense to boost canonicals ego and capitalism.
            Maybe KWin support for Wayland wasn't production ready, but Wayland itself was fine. ANd yes, Mir is just unnecessary NIH.

If Canonical had just quietly gone and done their own thing because they wanted to, then great no problem. Instead they wanted everyone else to adopt it, for no good reason and then spouted utter lies and bullshit about Mir vs Wayland to justify why everyone else should do what Canonical wants.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

A significant amount of the user base may care. Just as a point of interest.
              The vocal minority of NVIDIA users are the only ones who care. Most people who use Linux distros are using Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE etc. and they use it with iGPUs which are all Intel and AMD. Only some people use Linux on desktops with dedicated GPUs, of which a portion is NVIDIA.

It's NVIDIA's fault fr their bullshit politics around Wayland - they chose not to participate in discussions and came in way too late and expected everyone else to redo major work.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Wayland is a protocol, it's been "ready" as a protocol for ages.
                Mir is a display server, that purposely didn't implement the Wayland protocol, and Canonicals reasoning was shit.
                Wayland has almost all its components in unstable state.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

The vocal minority of NVIDIA users are the only ones who care. Most people who use Linux distros are using Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE etc. and they use it with iGPUs which are all Intel and AMD. Only some people use Linux on desktops with dedicated GPUs, of which a portion is NVIDIA.

It's NVIDIA's fault fr their bullshit politics around Wayland - they chose not to participate in discussions and came in way too late and expected everyone else to redo major work.

Nvidia is 60% of gpu marketshare.
                  I anticipate the question - who cares? Roman's employer cares.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I plan to drop the lowlatency codebase if Gilg's codebase is low-latency enough and I am able to merge everything.

I know they won't add full-screen unredirection to KWin so, most likely yes.
                    Well, who knows... let me quote Roman: "That's great to hear. I looked at it earlier this year when the fork was just created and it had some interesting ideas in there for sure.
                    But in the meantime I mostly concentrated on XServer improvements so I would need to dig into it again. Or if the creator is interested in collaborating he could also propose patches upstream directly. Maybe get in contact with me directly beforehand on what features he would select for that (since the singular commits in the repo are often too huge for collaborative review)."

The obvious change to announce is the new website design. But there is much more to talk about.
                    Last edited by R41N3R; 16 April 2020, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                      The vocal minority of NVIDIA users are the only ones who care. Most people who use Linux distros are using Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE etc. and they use it with iGPUs which are all Intel and AMD.
                      While statistically insignificant, I want to mention that Gnome Shell Wayland in practice works perfectly well with Freedreno, Panfrsot and v3d. I bet Tegra with nouveau is fine too.

So Wayland works well on practically everything, besides Nvidia desktop GPUs. What a shame.

Comment

Working...
                      X