Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KWinFT: KDE's KWin Forked To Focus On Better Wayland Support, Modern Technologies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
    I still remember back then, when Kwin guys were lying that wayland is production ready already and mir was just nonsense to boost canonicals ego and capitalism.
    Wayland may still not be production-ready, at least with KWin, but Mir has never been and is now dead as a display server, becoming a… Wayland compositor!

Comment

Fuck finnaly! KDE developers are totally negligent about Kwin.

I miss the Kwin-vulkan fork. 😢

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

Gnome has been working on this since quite some time and it is sill more or less in alpha status. Seems nontrivial..
        https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/Wayland/NVIDIA
        this not answer my question

Comment

Originally posted by sl1pkn07 View Post

As a fork of kwin, you can reasonably expect compatibility with nvidia drivers to be pretty similar to kwin for now.

Note that they haven't received a lot of testing. The dev said this in the manjaro release thread:
          I would be especially interested in feedback from Nvidia users. The compositing rework patches were mostly tested against AMD and Intel graphics and there is one last bit missing for full support on Nvidia but it might be already fine now in many cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
            Wayland is a protocol, it's been "ready" as a protocol for ages.
            You know exactly know what he meant. Too bad the implementation as a whole is not ready.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
              Will there be kwinft-lowlatency?
              I plan to drop the lowlatency codebase if Gilg's codebase is low-latency enough and I am able to merge everything.

I know they won't add full-screen unredirection to KWin so, most likely yes, there may be a KWin-lowlatency with the FT patches.
              Last edited by tildearrow; 16 April 2020, 01:17 PM.

Comment

ok, great, but, compatible with Nvidia drivers (eglstreams)?
                Hopefully not. There is no reason to waste time on eglstreams. Nvidia can adopt the universal standard, or stay in X11 for their closed source drivers. We don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Hopefully not. There is no reason to waste time on eglstreams. Nvidia can adopt the universal standard, or stay in X11 for their closed source drivers. We don't care.
                  A significant amount of the user base may care. Just as a point of interest.

Comment

How will wrapland compare to wlroots? Also, how does a drop in kwin replacement work for Plasma on Wayland? I was looking into it before when I wanted to use Sway in Plasma like how I previously used i3 as KDEWM on X11.

Now I am less bothered and happy with regular Sway + KDE apps + wofi as alternative to krunner.

Comment

Fast Answer, NO.

Why?

Because eglstream implementation is not that trivial and still is iffy at best on XWayland which is going to kill any desire for nVidia gamers to use wayland in the first place which in turn make enable eglstreams for nVidia user very very low priority, so no don't expect it any time soon.

If you wanna Game on Linux use X11 or go AMD since everything works flawlessly on Wayland(at least for me with POLARIS on ArchLinux)

Edit:
                      Yes, is nVidia's fault so go an open a bug report with them (Good Luck!)

Comment

Working...
                      X