Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KWinFT: KDE's KWin Forked To Focus On Better Wayland Support, Modern Technologies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
    It's maybe a stupid question, but why is he not supporting Mir? It uses modern C++, is Qt-free and desktop-agnostic.
    For starters, nobody but Mate uses Mir and then almost nobody uses Mate.
    There doesn't seem to be much in terms of community support for the project either.
    It seems like Canonical's typical NIH syndrome backlash had a high toll on Mir, even though they were originally there with Wayland.

There's wlroots though, backed by Sway (and other lesser compositors), one of the two major players in Wayland compositor development.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      ssokolow that’s very different from Qt CLA. KDE is right to ask for optional copyright. It protects Copyleft.
      I agree. I was responding to "No CLA on this fork. That comes naturally because the original code is 100% Copyleft with no CLA.".

The original was KDE code so, depending on whether you consider the FLA to be a CLA:

A) If you don't consider the FLA to be a CLA, then the original didn't have a CLA either, so it's nonsensical to bring that up.

B) If you do consider the FLA to be a CLA, then your current statement that it protects Copyleft suggests that your original statement is confused because "no CLA" would be a bad thing in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by sl1pkn07 View Post
        this not answer my question
        As others have pointed out, "no." Translated, KWin & forks are highly unlikely to have decent Nvidia driver support on Wayland anytime soon. KWin & fork needs work on vanilla Wayland with GBM. Also, there is no guarantee that EGLstreams will ever work well unless Nvidia actively participates and/or changes its attitude with the open source community (see Gnome's status).

Comment

Originally posted by d3coder View Post

Nvidia is 60% of gpu marketshare.
          I anticipate the question - who cares? Roman's employer cares.
          Intel is market leader in GPUs. Of course, Nvidia has leading gaming performance and is well established in computing (cuda).
          As of the fourth quarter of 2023, Intel was the biggest vendor in the PC GPU market worldwide, occupying 67 percent of the market.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
            Great. Another 144Hz clone who likes to post unrelated GNOME stuff in a KDE thread. Shoo, shoo.
            Civilized people tend to query when the correlation of an answer and question is illusive to them. You seem to refrain to a mediocre attempt to bullying. Bad luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
              It's maybe a stupid question, but why is he not supporting Mir? It uses modern C++, is Qt-free and desktop-agnostic.
              Not invented here syndrome.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Not invented here syndrome.
                Actually it's not Invented Here Syndrom. Mir uses modern C++ and is desktop agnostic. There is no other Wayland compositor out there which has these properties. Actually Roman Gilg replied to my question and he might consider this option:

Announcing the birth of the KWinFT project, a reboot of the window manager KWin and its accompanying libwayland wrapping library KWayland in the form of Wrapland. Its first release is available now.

Comment

Does this sync the compositor to the vsync signal like kwin-lowlatency does? (And actually like the other platforms do as well, Windows and macOS.) Whenever someone tries to use a timer to sync like kwin does, you always get stutters. kwin-lowlatency is perfectly smooth, just like the Windows and macOS compositors.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

Civilized people tend to query when the correlation of an answer and question is illusive to them. You seem to refrain to a mediocre attempt to bullying. Bad luck.
                    What can I say? You posted an answer that didn't answer the question that was asked, and it was a GNOME-related answer. No wonder I thought you were a 144Hz clone.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                      What can I say? You posted an answer that didn't answer the question that was asked, and it was a GNOME-related answer. No wonder I thought you were a 144Hz clone.
                      The question was will "will Kwin support Nvidia driver." The answer is no, don't hold your breath, this is difficult - see Gnome. Sorry you did not get it the first time.

I'm neither Gnome or KDE, I mostly want the DE to go out of my way. That being said, people get on my nerves that are stuck in a KDE vs. Gnome mindset. This is not the 90s. They are both great for what they do. However, if you want to know about Wayland/EGLstreams, Gnome is your only reference that tried seriously.

Comment

Working...
                      X