Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KWinFT: KDE's KWin Forked To Focus On Better Wayland Support, Modern Technologies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    ssokolow that’s very different from Qt CLA. KDE is right to ask for optional copyright. It protects Copyleft.
    I agree. I was responding to "No CLA on this fork. That comes naturally because the original code is 100% Copyleft with no CLA.".

The original was KDE code so, depending on whether you consider the FLA to be a CLA:

A) If you don't consider the FLA to be a CLA, then the original didn't have a CLA either, so it's nonsensical to bring that up.

B) If you do consider the FLA to be a CLA, then your current statement that it protects Copyleft suggests that your original statement is confused because "no CLA" would be a bad thing in this case.

Leave a comment:

• kon14
    replied
    Originally posted by Steffo View Post
    It's maybe a stupid question, but why is he not supporting Mir? It uses modern C++, is Qt-free and desktop-agnostic.
    For starters, nobody but Mate uses Mir and then almost nobody uses Mate.
    There doesn't seem to be much in terms of community support for the project either.
    It seems like Canonical's typical NIH syndrome backlash had a high toll on Mir, even though they were originally there with Wayland.

There's wlroots though, backed by Sway (and other lesser compositors), one of the two major players in Wayland compositor development.

Leave a comment:

• rgloor
    replied
    Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

the big problem here is simple, Mir was working much better than wayland before they give up and one question why should everyone use Red Hat software? Same thing, mir was a great project with big and fast improvements and oriented to the end user not like Wayland or X
    Actually, the problem is: Canonical was first to jump on Wayland bandwagon. Then urged others to use this Display-Server to replace XServer. After more and more people started working on Wayland, Canonical dropped it and started Mir. Then expected everybody else to drop Wayland as well and jump on the Mir bandwagon. Which didn't happen. Now Mir is using Wayland as well.

So think again.

Leave a comment:

• Steffo
    replied
    It's maybe a stupid question, but why is he not supporting Mir? It uses modern C++, is Qt-free and desktop-agnostic.

Leave a comment:

• _r00t-
    replied
    We need Vulkan support to KWinFT!

Leave a comment:

• Namenlos
    replied
    Originally posted by lectrode View Post
    Looks like the dev is already working with Manjaro distro devs to make it easily/quickly accessible.
    Great and with the high quality bug reports without debug symbols from Manjora this will really benefit.

Distros without debug symbols are cancer to open source.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

in some countries most of laptops come with dual graphics intel/nvidia
    AMD is a bit scarce, I'll give you that one, but I have yet to see any country where the majority of laptops have dual graphics.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by d3coder View Post

Nvidia is 60% of gpu marketshare.
    I anticipate the question - who cares? Roman's employer cares.
    LOL. That's 60% of Linux gamers, not 60% of the total amount of Linux users.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by mppix View Post

Gnome has been working on this since quite some time and it is sill more or less in alpha status. Seems nontrivial..
    https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/Wayland/NVIDIA
    Great. Another 144Hz clone who likes to post unrelated GNOME stuff in a KDE thread. Shoo, shoo.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Pinging Michael
    I forgot to strip the URLs from a Wikipedia excerpt again.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X