X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like Chrome 80 is a no-go.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I don't think he's trolling. X is constantly getting bashed because it's bloated, outdated and such. And yet, you remove X out of the equation, insert the new, modern solution and performance barely moves. It's obvious something doesn't add up.
      Is Firefox fully ported to Wayland? Is Gnome shell/Mutter fully optimized, because afaik without X they have more to say in terms of performance. Wayland is just a protocol. X was bloated, insecure mess that handled a lot of things, but in hardly efficient way. When implementation and optimization will be on pair we can compare. However, even know X-less distribution seems to be faster and there are still ongoing optimizations in Gnome stack.
      Last edited by Volta; 10 April 2020, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Firefox leading Chrome in many benchmarks? What happened?

Comment

how can I force firefox to run with wayland ?
          I am on ubuntu 20.04 with latest firefox 75 from repos
          but I still see window protocol x11 in about:support
          so how?

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            andyprough Wayland is ready and already in production systems including RHEL and Debian Stable.

If you decided to stay back on alternative desktops or weird distributions then it is your fault.
            Add Ubuntu, Suse, and Arch/Manjaro and you have 99% of the installed systems running a GUI.

Comment

andyprough Wayland is ready and already in production systems including RHEL and Debian Stable.

If you decided to stay back on alternative desktops or weird distributions then it is your fault.
              You apparently can't read test results or refuse to.

Comment

Yeah and the first thing I do is switching back default session to Xorg. Hell, Wayland is annoying but usable on Fedora 31, it was not usable at all several versions before. Not for me at least.

Comment

Michael can you try Sway some day? I would run the tests myself, but I don't trust the cooling off my laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by miskol View Post
                    how can I force firefox to run with wayland ?
                    I am on ubuntu 20.04 with latest firefox 75 from repos
                    but I still see window protocol x11 in about:support
                    so how?
                    Try launching it as such and see if it works: MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 firefox
                    You may then export the variable from your shell's profile file.

Also for anyone using the latest Flatpak (stable) of FF75 you should also enable the Wayland socket, since it's currently left out of the default configuration:
                    flatpak override --user --socket=wayland org.mozilla.firefox
                    flatpak override --user --env=MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 org.mozilla.firefox

Comment

Do people forget that Wayland wasn't about huge performance gains? Like that wasn't why they designed it. It was designed to be a protocol that was designed for the modern computing era that took into account the way the software landscape was, like GUI toolkits and no one using the X primitives, and also the fact that lots of the core things, like input, just needed to be completely rebuilt which couldn't be done lest you break all the old stuff. If you see a massive performance gain by using Wayland its going to be something they couldn't do in Xorg, like the proper GPU accel stuff
                      Last edited by SpyroRyder; 10 April 2020, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X