Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway Wayland Compositor Seeing Adaptive-Sync/VRR Support

Phoronix: Sway Wayland Compositor Seeing Adaptive-Sync/VRR Support

The i3-inspired Sway Wayland compositor is seeing work carried out for it to support Adaptive-Sync / Variable Rate Refresh...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it the first compositor to carry that support?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Amazing news! Is this the first project to attempt this?

From my understanding Wayland's perfect frames only applies to rendering and not display-output-synchronization. Meaning if you could record your desktop with something like OBS then you won't see corrupted frames.

Adaptive Sync on the other hand is ensuring that the frames are not corrupted on the display side, so you should be able to record your screen with a camera and not see corrupted frames.

PS: I still have issues on a 144Hz 1ms GtG screen on Windows with Freesync while playing Factorio with grid-layout debug option enabled. Screens still aren't prefect, but it has improved a lot over the past decade! (Grid's RGB value is #000000 and screen simply can't put up with dark to light to dark...)

Comment

I just commented on the Github MR because their testers were using monitors with HDMI, but AFAIK there is still no FreeSync support on Linux with HDMI. They should re-test with DisplayPort to verify that it actually works.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
          I just commented on the Github MR because their testers were using monitors with HDMI, but AFAIK there is still no FreeSync support on Linux with HDMI. They should re-test with DisplayPort to verify that it actually works.
          I thought that the AMD drivers had HDMI VRR support for quite some time now

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

I thought that the AMD drivers had HDMI VRR support for quite some time now
            I think that HDMI VRR is is only possible starting with HDMI 2.1 which is not available on any AMD GPU since they use a very old HDMI version, even on recently released GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I think that HDMI VRR is is only possible starting with HDMI 2.1 which is not available on any AMD GPU since they use a very old HDMI version, even on recently released GPUs.
              Kinda yes and kinda no. HDMI VRR is technically actually not specifically tied to any HDMI version, for example the latest XBox One is actually using VRR over HDMI 2.0b.

It would be more accurate to say that no device apart from XBox one is using VRR on HDMI (regardless of the HDMI port version). Different HDMI versions only specify the maximum amount of bandwidth that they can support.
              Last edited by mdedetrich; 04 March 2020, 12:29 PM.

Comment

There was a Phoronix article from last September which I mentioned in that MR which highlighted this. Currently they use a proprietary extension on Windows to make it work there which wouldn't fly on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Kinda yes and kinda now. HDMI VRR is technically actually not specifically tied to any HDMI version, for example the latest XBox One is actually using VRR over HDMI 2.0b.
                  It seems like it'll be a requirement(?) for 2.1 compliant devices, but looks like Microsoft put in the extra work to implement it in a prior version. Not 100% sure how these hardware specs work.

Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) reduces or eliminates lag, judder and frame tearing for more fluid and better detailed gameplay, HDMI 2.1b

Cheers,
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mroche View Post

It seems like it'll be a requirement(?) for 2.1 compliant devices, but looks like Microsoft put in the extra work to implement it in a prior version. Not 100% sure how these hardware specs work.

Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) reduces or eliminates lag, judder and frame tearing for more fluid and better detailed gameplay, HDMI 2.1b

Cheers,
                    Mike
                    What are you talking about

This image totally describes what variable refresh rate does

Comment

Working...
                    X