Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.36 Seeing Last Minute Mutter Wayland Improvements

Phoronix: GNOME 3.36 Seeing Last Minute Mutter Wayland Improvements

On top of the last minute GNOME 3.36 work on scaled/transformed hardware cursors handling, there is some other interesting last-minute Wayland work on the Mutter side...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    And last minute performance works \o/

So that subscribers can choose the class of events they're interested in and not be woken by everything else. Needed by:

The touchpad gesture handlers were receiving all events, all the time. This meant that even mouse movements were getting translated into JavaScript calls and then discarded by the...

vanvugt said this was the most important of his remaining MRs.
    What's current status on Wayland vs X.Org, regarding performance, and power consumption, and glitches?

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

What's current status on Wayland vs X.Org, regarding performance, and power consumption, and glitches?
      Power consumption under Wayland in theory should be much lower than the previous X compositor setup. There's a reason X was avoided for phones.

I've been using GNOME Wayland for nearly two years now and haven't noticed anything major (I've had the shell crash three times in those two years). Performance is fine unless you're running games, where there is room for improvement over input handling and Xwayland.

Comment

What about the undirect fullscreen Wayland windows. Did that one make it?

Comment

Nobody really cares because the xwayland bits would need to come down the line at first and there is no plan when the next X will be released.

Comment

This release is going to be awesome it seems. Can't wait for it to land on Arch.

Comment

MastaG Not landed yet.
              Might still happen before Fedora 32 release.
              https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte...e_requests/798
              In wondering whether GNOME 3.36 will land in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS,...

Comment

lumks That’s not a blocker. If GNOME needs a new X release then we get a new X release.
                Sadly we don't. There is much more stuff in x-devel that would improve gnome / wayland. From xwayland fullscreen fixes, to tearing prevention improvements, to performance fixes, to EGL-Stream support/improvements, to async-loadup improvements, to input improvements. There is SO MUCH that would help to improve gnome experience. Yet there isnt even a target year of release.
                It might not be a blocker. Its just another feature of gnome, that is of less use, because the xorg-bits are missing.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
                  Nobody really cares because the xwayland bits would need to come down the line at first and there is no plan when the next X will be released.
                  No Xwayland changes required for this.

Comment

Guest 3.36 will land in Debian then Ubuntu.

Don’t worry about it. Canonical got people working on GNOME and Debian.
                    Well, Ubuntu 20.04 is past Debian import freeze, which means no new packages get in. But, there might be exceptions...

I'm currently running Ubuntu 19.10, and then plan to upgrade to 20.04 LTS, and keep running it, until I buy a new laptop (recently I bought Lenovo A485 2700U PRO from warehouse sale, really good price).

There were times, when I was running Arch Linux... But, I ain't got time to maintain rolling release, anymore.

Comment

Working...
                    X