Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt Wayland's Maintainer Is Leaving The Company

Phoronix: Qt Wayland's Maintainer Is Leaving The Company

While the Qt5 tool-kit on Wayland is in fairly good shape in recent times, the Qt Wayland module that provides the Wayland platform abstraction and helpers for assembly Qt-based Wayland compositors could run the risk of regressing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sometimes we forget how fragile some projects are, especially when they have only one dedicated developer. I'm not interested in Qt very much, but I do hope they find someone to fill this position.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      willbprog177 This is another kind of fragile. Continuation of QtWayland depends on the needs of commercial partners.
      People often call 144Hz a "troll" because he favors GNOME a lot and often says inconvenient truths. But seriously, who can disagree that Qt has always been a problem due to it being a company product? Doesn't matter who owns Qt's company, this project will always steer according to that company's needs and wants. And KDE will follow suit because KDE has always been a tech demo to promote Qt.

GTK is a tool to help GNOME Desktop. But GNOME Desktop is the master. On the other hand, KDE desktop is a tool to promote Qt. But Qt is the master. KDE in the past even broke the KDE desktop and released garbage unstable versions because they just had to promote the newest version of Qt.... And since Qt does not really care about Wayland, KDE doesn't really support it either. We are well into 2020 and the latest "Plasma" desktop still can't keep going on for more than 30 minutes without crushing on Wayland session and radeonsi drivers.... Seriously?

I know many people like KDE desktop, i like it too, i have even contributed to it in the past, but the reality is that Qt's needs are deemed more important than the desktop. And 144Hz is often right about it. No matter the hate he gets.

Comment

Perhaps it's him who has the hate and so comes immediately when there's something new about Qt?

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

People often call 144Hz a "troll" because he favors GNOME a lot and often says inconvenient truths. But seriously, who can disagree that Qt has always been a problem due to it being a company product? Doesn't matter who owns Qt's company, this project will always steer according to that company's needs and wants. And KDE will follow suit because KDE has always been a tech demo to promote Qt.

GTK is a tool to help GNOME Desktop. But GNOME Desktop is the master. On the other hand, KDE desktop is a tool to promote Qt. But Qt is the master. KDE in the past even broke the KDE desktop and released garbage unstable versions because they just had to promote the newest version of Qt.... And since Qt does not really care about Wayland, KDE doesn't really support it either. We are well into 2020 and the latest "Plasma" desktop still can't keep going on for more than 30 minutes without crushing on Wayland session and radeonsi drivers.... Seriously?

I know many people like KDE desktop, i like it too, i have even contributed to it in the past, but the reality is that Qt's needs are deemed more important than the desktop. And 144Hz is often right about it. No matter the hate he gets.
          I would disagree that KDE just follows suit of the Qt company's direction, because the KDE team also develops lots of things by themselves where the Qt framework is lacking, which then frequently get included upstream. Traffic flows in two directions down this road. And KDE Plasma may be a tech demo for the Qt company, but it's one hell of a successful tech demo. I doubt the Qt company ignores requests by the Plasma team, but of course undeniably commercial partners get a higher priority on the roadmap.

I do find it too bad that Wayland is nowhere near production use quality within Qt or KDE Plasma. It'll take many more years I bet, because there's just not too much commercial demand for it I guess. Hopefully, the move to Linux by big city administrations, will bring a change in that

Comment

And 144Hz is often right about it. No matter the hate he gets.
            The hate comes from being an arsehole about things. There's ways of saying things without shitting in peoples faces.

Comment

KDE in the past even broke the KDE desktop and released garbage unstable versions
              It's a good thing GNOME never did that...

People often call 144Hz a "troll" because he favors GNOME a lot and often says inconvenient truths
              LMAO at most of his "truths". Anyway, 144Hz is a huge troll because repetitively posts the same crap about "default/standard desktop" in unrelated threads, early birds threads and turns them into desktop holy wars (like this one), and posts all kinds of other GNOME-glorifying lies.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                Britoid You are just proving TemplarGR’s point right now... If you got hurt feelings then quote me and let’s see how that compares to the general tone and language.
                A quote from you: "Should be named Butthurt Baboon to honour those who cried a river when Gnome were back as default."

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

The hate comes from being an arsehole about things. There's ways of saying things without shitting in peoples faces.
                  Perhaps he should try this then ?

Last edited by Slartifartblast; 29 February 2020, 10:45 AM.

Comment

And GNOME isn't steered by companies like Red Hat and Canonical?

Comment

Working...
                    X