Mir's X11 Support Is Being Promoted From Experimental

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlanGriffiths View Post

The strength of FOSS is that a company stopping work on a project doesn't kill the project.

In this case, Canonical did stop contributing to Unity and Unity8, but both projects have carried on without them.

And no, Canonical has not stopped investing in Mir.
    Personally I think they should have never started them, they've always smelled of "NIH" to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Buntolo View Post

Personally I think they should have never started them, they've always smelled of "NIH" to me.
      I agree with both. That's one of the awesome things about FOSS though. It goes beyond commercial value and putting strict control with the hands of a single entity.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddsocks View Post

I agree with both. That's one of the awesome things about FOSS though. It goes beyond commercial value and putting strict control with the hands of a single entity.
        I partially concur: fork and FOSS can be useful and are an important resource, but for niche projects with small user base I think they should try the best they can to tolerate each other an stick on working together on the same project. While forking a server/enterprise product can be for the best (as server world is mostly Linux), forking a project intended for desktop use may be a bad idea, resulting in fragmentation and resource (people and time) scattering.

Comment

Working...
        X