No announcement yet.

Early Out Of Tree Patches Let Wine Run Natively On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be curious to see the performance differences of WINE through X, xwayland, and Wayland. For something that is already adding more CPU usage than normal, I figure going straight to Wayland ought to yield some improvement on low-end systems.

Also...
    It'd be kinda funny to run the Windows version of Chrome in Wayland, whereas you can't do that with Linux (yes, I know about Ozone...)

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I'd be curious to see the performance differences of WINE through X, xwayland, and Wayland. For something that is already adding more CPU usage than normal, I figure going straight to Wayland ought to yield some improvement on low-end systems.

Also...
      It'd be kinda funny to run the Windows version of Chrome in Wayland, whereas you can't do that with Linux (yes, I know about Ozone...)
      The Chrome Wayland port is really bad right now.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The reality is Wine though x.org on direct hardware or Xwayland on top of wayland compositor as long as both have proper GPU support the performance difference is basically nothing. Its not adding more CPU usage x.org vs Xwayland because Xwayland cuts away a hell load of sub system stuff due to using wayland protocol so wayland compostors + Xwayland are equal or lighter than x.org on direct hardware on cpu and ram usage.

Wine direct on Wayland may give some improvement but the question is how much has to be re-implemented of what Xwayland does to make windows applications happy.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
          It looks like this is currently entirely game software focused so far.
          That's the direction Wine has taken lately. Who uses productiivity software anyway, right? 'AIGHT?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            That's the direction Wine has taken lately. Who uses productiivity software anyway, right? 'AIGHT?
            You have not been reading the wine release announcements.

3DAnalyzer is a cad thing for wood working.
            MSYS2 compilers and stuff.
            MindManager Pro one of those mind mapping things
            Speccy computer specs thing. Logos 8 bible study stuff. I would say more games stuff is happening but. There are some insanely wacky things that turn up every release announcement so productivity stuff does turn up..

Comment

Maybe it's more common to find a decent native, productivity app to replace a Windows productivity app, than it is to find a decent, native replacement game / game engine. So maybe there is more demand for Wine to allow Windows games to run, so more focus goes to that.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

You have not been reading the wine release announcements.

3DAnalyzer is a cad thing for wood working.
                MSYS2 compilers and stuff.
                MindManager Pro one of those mind mapping things
                Speccy computer specs thing. Logos 8 bible study stuff. I would say more games stuff is happening but. There are some insanely wacky things that turn up every release announcement so productivity stuff does turn up..

That's interesting stuff, but doesn't disprove (or support) Starship's point.

Comment

Games are (once you get the graphics API sorted) relatively easy because they're made to be portable, thus use very few system APIs.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
                    That's interesting stuff, but doesn't disprove (or support) Starship's point.
                    Stuff like that would not be turning up if wine was 100 percent not productivity. I would say there is more developers working on game support than productivity stuff and it been that way for quite some time.

Comment

Surely, they should call this Wineland

Comment

Working...
                      X