X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    That has ceased to be true with modern day online games. Modern day online game update more often than productivity applications.
    Not all updates are made equal.
    Modern online games do "content updates" which is a completely different thing. Adding new models, skins, hats, maps and HATS and internal game mechanics (usually handled by scripting in game-specific language) and also lots of HATS hardly requires game engine changes. From the point of view of Wine, that's just another file in a folder that the game engine is reading on load.

Warframe in Wine for example does not usually care about updates as they are 99.9% content updates and not game engine updates.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    What sort of extensions does this need to work? Which compositors are supported?

I guess this is a much needed step forward to make wayland remotely usable, rather than being a pointless abstraction layer for xwayland. Now, the biggest pain point is the lack of OBS support.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    It's actually the reverse, you need more maintenance for productivity applications that are updated over time while most games become static pretty quickly.
    That has ceased to be true with modern day online games. Modern day online game update more often than productivity applications.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    My point was that the focus is not on productivity, and your post does not disprove that.
    My post shows the focus is not 100 percent on games either. 3DAnalyzer patch had no practical reason for any game. So you see some productivity focused work.

Wine project does not have a solid focus in any particular way. Yes funding has at the moment lead to more work on games.

So wine project there is still a percentage of focus on getting productivity and other applications in that class to work.

Valve being a game company putting in money and developers have move the balance. There was a time when google put money into productivity and that moved wine balance off games.

Wine project balance between development on productivity and games is a constant moving thing.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    2) Wine games ... require constant changes to keep up
    It's actually the reverse, you need more maintenance for productivity applications that are updated over time while most games become static pretty quickly.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post
    I think the biggest reason is you need your UI to run and look the same on all the consoles.
    What about PC games. Native non-console-port PC games. Do they need to have the same UI across multiple platforms? No they don't as they are Windows/PC only. Yet they still don't use Windows GUI libs and may or may not use Windows libs (like .net) for something. (games using a commercial game engine usually don't)

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Yeah, that's part of my point.

That said, a game is not "made to be portable", it happens to be mostly self-sufficient due to stylistic reasons (i.e. it is not using Windows API to draw its own GUI for example, but only because Windows GUI looks like garbage for a game, and it does not to rely as heavily on Windows API and .net because that's useless/inferior/whatever for the game).
    I think the biggest reason is you need your UI to run and look the same on all the consoles.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    My point was that the focus is not on productivity, and your post does not disprove that.
    Two reasons

1) Valve funding
    2) Wine games are more in demand than productivity applications and require constant changes to keep up

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    You have not been reading the wine release announcements.

3DAnalyzer is a cad thing for wood working.
    MSYS2 compilers and stuff.
    MindManager Pro one of those mind mapping things
    Speccy computer specs thing. Logos 8 bible study stuff. I would say more games stuff is happening but. There are some insanely wacky things that turn up every release announcement so productivity stuff does turn up..

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post
    Games are (once you get the graphics API sorted) relatively easy because they're made to be portable, thus use very few system APIs.
    Yeah, that's part of my point.

That said, a game is not "made to be portable", it happens to be mostly self-sufficient due to stylistic reasons (i.e. it is not using Windows API to draw its own GUI for example, but only because Windows GUI looks like garbage for a game, and it does not to rely as heavily on Windows API and .net because that's useless/inferior/whatever for the game).
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 04 February 2020, 12:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X