UBports' Unity 8 Has Working Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    I hope Unity8 will be available for an easy PC install this year as I hate Gnome 3 and KDE has other serious problems.
    Unity 7 works well, but it would be nice if more people cared to maintain it, possibly figuring out how to keep the features while removing the Ubuntuisms.

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post
      [Re-purposing Mir as a Wayland compliant compositor is] what I predicted would happen with Mir a few years back.
      Similar thoughts were expressed about three years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

Unity 7 works well, but it would be nice if more people cared to maintain it, possibly figuring out how to keep the features while removing the Ubuntuisms.
        For focused discussion of new Ubuntu Unity Remix development and testing. This category is restricted to posting by the people working on Ubuntu Unity, but is world-visible.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

they had a working display years ago, go with wayland need many more work and continues buggy as hell. After many years nobody can even play a fps using wayland and a good desktop distro need to use X because wayland it's simple broken
          Not sure what you're talking about. I've been running Gnome on Wayland for a couple of months now and it's running almost flawless. I don't play games on this machine so I won't comment on that, but everything else works perfectly. It's even smoother than X11 when it comes to animations. Heck, even screen sharing surprisingly worked on Zoom with no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Wayland is just a protocol, calling it buggy is like calling TCP buggy.
            I can't tell about TCP in particular (nor Wayland for that matter), but in general protocols CAN be buggy.

Look for example at the WPA protocol: it "featured" at least one bug I recall in recent years (maybe two) at the protocol level, not implementation specific. I'm quite sure WPA is no exception and protocols can have bugs at large.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Wayland is just a protocol, calling it buggy is like calling TCP buggy.
              I don't have much experience but I've sone some networking curses and I've learned that IPv4 can be considered biggy for modern standards. For example the inability to maintain some sort of connection which would make changing cellular network on the run transparent (transport layer isnt enough for that). Also some mechanisms defined by the protocol are considered bad these days. IPv6 fixes almost all of the problems.

Comment

they had a working display years ago, go with wayland need many more work and continues buggy as hell. After many years nobody can even play a fps using wayland and a good desktop distro need to use X because wayland it's simple broken
                Not sure to which Wayland compositor you are referring to, but at least Gnome Shell Wayland runs Counter Strike GO on my system (Arch Linux, Ryzen 1800X + RX580) very smooth. It runs much better when compared to a Gnome Shell X.org session.

Comment

a good desktop distro need to use X because wayland it's simple broken
                  Do you consider X which allows every client to grab whole input/output less broken?

Comment

Working...
                  X