GTK4 Data Transfer APIs Being Modernized Around Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I was wondering if their design standards had been updated so that everything didn't look so big and space wasting. I suppose it might not be that bad on laptop screens, but on a 49" monitor, GTK3 is big and space wasting and my first instinct is "Except for the font, I wish most of the UI was scaled down by 33%" and was hoping for a Compact UI mode or option.

A lot of people like those big, clean, and simple interfaces for TVs, like Steam BIg Picture or the Gnome Applauncher or Kodi, but I'm the opposite and want the option for compact, cluttered, and advanced interfaces. I can do more at once with the latter setup so it's more productive for me.
    This desire I understand 100%! Im literally in the process of building up a new desktop and have had issues with dialogs that don’t even fit on screen. Now some of those where QT based apps but GTK isn’t free of the issue either. The big issue is there when those dialogs can’t be resized.

In a more general sense I do see more and more apps wasting on screen space! It is almost as if white space has become a trend in interface design. While white space is useful it never makes up for poor dialogs and menu design.

Comment

I very much like GTK, and I think it is great, but here are some things that I dislike with GTK:
      • Gtk.Paned is limited to only two panes.
      • With Gio.SimpleAction.new_stateful I cannot pass in boolean values in Python, such as True, I must pass in GLib.Variant.new_boolean(False).
      • I add widgets but they're not visible. I have to call widget.show() or container.show_all().
      Last edited by uid313; 29 January 2020, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post

Have you looked at Ubuntu recently for comparison? I don't know if Gnome has slimmed things down at all from the past, but the titlebars in Ubuntu look very compact.
        Yeah I have and it really doesn't look that bad, but they're using plugins and whatnot; though I'm not positive what parts of their UI tweaks are Gnome evolving, plugins, Ubuntu exclusive patches, etc. When you're using Ubuntu or any other distribution that doesn't update the Gnome version that often, custom tweaks and plugins aren't so bad, but when your on stuff like Manjaro, Arch, Tumbleweed, etc, it can become a hassle since the desktop will update faster than plugins. Due to the rolling nature, Gnome, Plugins, and myself just don't get along.

If anyone is curious, this is something akin to what they're planning with 20.04 showing both the light and dark variants. It's not bad, but I prefer the Windows/Plasma style over Gnome/OSX so it just looks off to me.

Manjaro does some pretty neat stuff with Gnome too. They're gonna have a layout switcher for Gnome on their next release, and, after watching this video, is making want to give Gnome another shot. Skip to 4:40 and checkout that Classic desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          GTK4 uses CSS just as GTK3 so I think it will look exactly the same.
          Just like around 90% of websites out there.
          Do the 90% of websites out there look even remotely alike?

Hopefully it will have a nicer feeling though, because hopefully it will be easier to do animations, and I hope there will be some implicit animations that just happens without the developer have to explicitly declare so.
          His question was "do you know?", not "post all your wishes"

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Just like around 90% of websites out there.
            Do the 90% of websites out there look even remotely alike?
            Well since both GTK3 and GTK4 use CSS they are both likely to use the same theme, so if you use for example Adwaita, then both are styled the same. I believe GTK3 will be very close to GTK4 but better support for Vulkan and Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
              Hypothetically, how hard will be the migration from GTK3 to 4 in apps? I realise that's like asking how long is a piece of string, but still.
              At a glance, most changes are around implementing widgets, though there are some other ones like dropping show_all and changed APIs for icon buttons. I did a migration of a small app a while back and it took like 10 minutes at most. At bare minimum, I'd think it won't take as much as GTK2 -> GTK3.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I very much like GTK, and I think it is great, but here are some things that I dislike with GTK:
                • Gtk.Paned is limited to only two panes.
                • With Gio.SimpleAction.new_stateful I cannot pass in boolean values in Python, such as True, I must pass in GLib.Variant.new_boolean(False).
                • I add widgets but they're not visible. I have to call widget.show() or container.show_all().
                Iirc GTK4 actually fixes the last point and makes widgets shown by default.

For GtkPaned, I believe libdazzle has a multi pane widget: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/libdazzle

Comment

skeevy420 Yaru compiles with Adwaita in compact-mode.

Comment

Working...
                  X