Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox Is Seeing Work On Wayland VA-API Video Acceleration

Phoronix: Firefox Is Seeing Work On Wayland VA-API Video Acceleration

Some exciting news this week for Firefox users running on Wayland.....

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome!

Time for the benefits of moving to Wayland to finally start appearing.

Comment

Pretty cool effort. I hope this will work out on AMD GPUs, too, because I use a lot of those at work and home, but VA-API sounds like the right idea.

Comment

Chromium should take notice, although some distributions ship their build with VA-API patches already. Hardware video acceleration is a big deal, especially on laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          Awesome!

Time for the benefits of moving to Wayland to finally start appearing.
          Wtf? It's been more than a decade already... Talk about too little too late....

Comment

Any technical reason because it is wayland only and not x11?

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
              Pretty cool effort. I hope this will work out on AMD GPUs, too, because I use a lot of those at work and home, but VA-API sounds like the right idea.
              It probably won't work right if they don't actually test it on AMD hardware during development. Sorry. This whole wayland thing is looking like a dystopian fanboy dream...

Comment

What should I think? Firefox isn't a free web browser (anymore or since the flash plugin was killed)?
                Every good video player use the GPU video acceleration (what!, those using the gst shit doesn't?) with very very low impact on resources since ever. And now, someone would pass this as a great new thing?
                Well, it's time for a completely new, independent web browser using a completely different engine.
                Opera (browser), why, why, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post
                  What should I think? Firefox isn't a free web browser (anymore or since the flash plugin was killed)?
                  Every good video player use the GPU video acceleration (what!, those using the gst shit doesn't?) with very very low impact on resources since ever. And now, someone would pass this as a great new thing?
                  Well, it's time for a completely new, independent web browser using a completely different engine.
                  Opera (browser), why, why, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!
                  Sorry to ruin your daydream. Opera switched to Blink in 2013.
                  Since you don't like Firefox, well, welcome to a world of browsers controlled by Google.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
                    Any technical reason because it is wayland only and not x11?
                    Wayland lets you avoid copying pixels around and works on the concept of shared buffers. Firefox can set the hardware decoder to use a shared buffer that's also shared with the compositor.

This isn't really possible under X, Firefox would have to start copying pixels everywhere which is terrible for performance and battery life reasons.

Comment

Working...
                    X