Weston 8.0 Released With DRM HDCP Support, EGL Partial Updates, Headless OpenGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ascent12 View Post
    I'm a developer for wlroots. What you've said is just plain wrong.
    Weston is the highest quality Wayland compositor in many regards, and we're still playing catch up in a few areas, particularly regarding low-level graphics.
    It is still a useful reference implementation which we compare a lot of our behaviour against.
    So even though I get ~110fps in LZDoom on Sway and only 50 on Weston, Weston still has a low overhead?

The horrible tearing I get is actually meant to be there?

Fullscreen is broken with XWayland on Weston so other compositors should emulate its behaviour?

LZDoom on native Wayland is practically unplayable with Weston, but Weston is high quality, so they can't be the ones doing something wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by ascent12 View Post

They bump the major version every time they make an API breakage, which is basically every release at this point.
      I hate the fact that they don't know what compatibility is.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I hate the fact that they don't know what compatibility is.
        They're significantly better than it than we are; wlroots breaks things even more often. Weston also has things set up properly for having multiple versions installed at the same time.
        Writing a Wayland compositor is hard, and trying to come up with a good library interface for it is hard too.

Originally posted by archsway View Post
        So even though I get ~110fps in LZDoom on Sway and only 50 on Weston, Weston still has a low overhead?

The horrible tearing I get is actually meant to be there?

Fullscreen is broken with XWayland on Weston so other compositors should emulate its behaviour?

LZDoom on native Wayland is practically unplayable with Weston, but Weston is high quality, so they can't be the ones doing something wrong?
        I'm not going to make any comments on Xwayland, it's the part I understand the least.
        But there is a whole lot more to a Wayland compositor than just that.

Comment

Working...
        X