Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sway 1.4 Wayland Compositor Brings VNC Support, Initial Bits For MATE Panel Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• juno
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    How well goes the whole Pipewire effort for screen capturing? When will something like ffmpeg and OBS work with Wayland sessions?
    I'm not sure if you're talking about (live) screen sharing, but as for actual screen capturing, it's the easiest thing to do on sway with slurp and wf-recorder. I don't know why you'd need PipeWire for that.
    As for screen sharing, I'm not saying it doesn't work. I've not tried/needed it yet.

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
    It's time for stacking compositor from Drew, they're much more useful for everyday desktop computing, he should leave Sway to contributors at this point more and continue working on the stacking wayland compositor he once toyed around.
    Nope, they're not. Nope, he shouldn't

And he's still working on Sedna btw.

BTW, what they call "useful for certain niche keyboard designs" (keyboard grouping), I think it's fairly common on laptops to have some hotkeys on a different "keyboard". Grouping allows to use hotkeys with modifiers again (things like shift+brightness up)
    Last edited by juno; 22 January 2020, 10:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    How well goes the whole Pipewire effort for screen capturing? When will something like ffmpeg and OBS work with Wayland sessions?
    pretty sure that plasma has pipewire+wayland implemented. I however have not played with it to know how well it might work

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    Do you like the upcoming tiling design of Thunar?
    Holy Hannah I hope that's a joke. It looks like if I were to open Dolphin, go full retard with crtl+mouse wheel up, waited until it crashed, and then took a screen shot of the window.

Leave a comment:

• 240Hz
    replied
    Its truly a shame that sway is a clone of i3, a really terrible window manager, instead of something much more usable like dwm, xmonad..

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    Do you like the upcoming tiling design of Thunar?

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    What in the el facko are you del talking abouto guys?
    For Sway to be a floating window manager like Mutter or KWin and not a tiling one like it is now and then suggestions on how to hack something like that together now using Thunar followed by a Crunchbang flashback.

I smoke a lot of weed and even I can follow that.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    What in the el facko are you del talking abouto guys?

Leave a comment:

• c117152
    replied
    Originally posted by hax0r View Post
    they're much more useful for everyday desktop computing
    Just get a file manager like Thunar and keep the first tab at ~/Desktop with all your shortcuts. Maybe have it take workspace 1/0 on bootup even.

I suppose that in itself might be worth a dedicated app though. That is, Some kind of app that renders a simple window with the shortcuts from ~/Desktop and lets people move them around. Maybe something similar for the xdg menu. Combined I'm sure most low end distributions would just link the "start" menu on that "desktop" and stick it the first workspace when booting along with some kind of help popup for shortcuts and whatnot. That's pretty user friendly I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• hax0r
    replied
    It's time for stacking compositor from Drew, they're much more useful for everyday desktop computing, he should leave Sway to contributors at this point more and continue working on the stacking wayland compositor he once toyed around. Sway is more than good enough for watching tear free and smooth anime.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X