Wayland 1.18 Alpha Released With Meson Support, Connection Sharing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I just don't want my compositor to crash because unlike X.Org Server where when the compositor or window manager crashed it would just gracefully restart with all applications intact, when a Wayland compositor crashes everything goes down. I think.
    Rust would make no difference here.

You know what happens if X.org crashes? Your applications go down. And with X being X, you'll probably get a frozen display and input.

Wayland display servers are much simpler than the X servers they're replacing, so the area for potential bugs is reduced.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Rust would make no difference here.

You know what happens if X.org crashes? Your applications go down. And with X being X, you'll probably get a frozen display and input.

Wayland display servers are much simpler than the X servers they're replacing, so the area for potential bugs is reduced.
      But Rust eliminates entire classes of bugs. No more null references, no more race conditions, concurrency issues, etc.

Yes, if X.Org crashes then applications go down, but if only the compositor or window manager running on X crashes then nothing everything is lost, but with Wayland then the compositor is the window manager which is the display manager so if that crashes, it all does down.

Comment

Working...
      X