Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir 1.7 Released With Improvements For Running X11 Software

Phoronix: Mir 1.7 Released With Improvements For Running X11 Software

Mir 1.7 was released today as the newest feature release for this Ubuntu-focused display stack that for the past two years now has focused on serving viable Wayland support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I will actually start using Unity8 when its ready. Last time I've used it was running on buttery smooth "real mir"; mir protocol, no memory leak, pure perfection. Hopefully all that smoothness isn't lost by porting it to wayland and separating compositor from protocol.

Comment

Originally posted by paupav View Post
      I will actually start using Unity8 when its ready. Last time I've used it was running on buttery smooth "real mir"; mir protocol, no memory leak, pure perfection. Hopefully all that smoothness isn't lost by porting it to wayland and separating compositor from protocol.
      From what I've seen, Unity8 will be at least as buttery smooth on Wayland as it was on the original Mir protocol. Problem is, "Unity 8 desktop on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS could take a year before being usable." That's probably because, near as I can tell, the priorities at UBports (justifiably) are:

1) updating Unity8 to run on Ubuntu 16.04 for the benefit of the soon-to-be-released PinePhone (and other devices);
      2) rebasing Unity8 to run on Ubuntu 20.04 for the benefit of the PinePhone (and other devices);
      3) other stuff; and
      4) working on Unity 8 for desktop.

I support UBports focusing on development for the PinePhone in the near term. Nonetheless, I hope that UBports will minimize their efforts on the "other stuff" in the near term, and focus on Unity8 for desktop ASAP. But I suppose they'll do what they think is best.

EDIT: I'm under the impression that UBports would welcome help developing Unity8 for the desktop. So if anyone who knows C++ wants to contribute (no CLA required) ...
      Last edited by GizmoChicken; 17 January 2020, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoChicken View Post
        I support UBports focusing on development for the PinePhone in the near term. Nonetheless, I hope that UBports will minimize their efforts on the "other stuff" in the near term, and focus on Unity8 for desktop ASAP. But I suppose they'll do what they think is best.
        I don't think Unity8 desktop will ever be, or should ever be, a priority for UBports. If you look at their goals (from https://ubports.com/foundation/ubports-foundation):
        1. Help and promote the collaborative software development of Ubuntu Touch;
        2. Encourage the development of Ubuntu Touch and its features while coordinating and organizing the collaborative work on the software;
        3. Assist the community while defending its interests and the sustainability of its developments;
        4. Promote the use of Ubuntu Touch as solution for mobile devices;
        5. Facilitate synergies, collaborations and fund raising efforts;
        6. Actively collaborate on the definition of the roadmaps of new versions, features and their implementation.
        You can see the priority is "mobile", not "desktop".

EDIT: I'm under the impression that UBports would welcome help developing Unity8 for the desktop. So if anyone who knows C++ wants to contribute (no CLA required) ...
        Seeing Unity8 on desktop again would be cool, and it would make sense for anyone wanting to work on it to collaborate with UBports as there's a lot of common work needed. But I don't think all the "desktop" only bits will happen if folks sit back and wait for someone else to do it.

(Sorry, I know this may be disappointing, but it is better not to have unrealistic expectations.)

Comment

Originally posted by AlanGriffiths View Post
          I don't think Unity8 desktop will ever be, or should ever be, a priority for UBports.
          UBports is a small team doing big things. And I understand why they're reluctant to promise whether they will, or won't, bring Unity8 back to the desktop. Sometimes I get the sense that they will; sometimes I get the sense that they won't.

While I hope to use Unity8 on my desktop, my personal desire to use Unity8 is not the main reason that I hope UBports will bring Unity8 to the desktop. Rather, I hope that UBports will succeed with their primary priorities, namely most everything that you listed.

My thinking is that many will want to try Unity8 on the desktop first, and if they like what they see on the desktop, they'll be more likely to install Ubuntu Touch (UT) on a phone. That is, I see Unity8 to be a great way for UBports to entice more to try UT, thereby helping UBports succeed with their primary priorities.

Also, if convergence is to be a real thing, Unity8 needs to be on mobile and desktops.

Originally posted by AlanGriffiths View Post
          I don't think all the "desktop" only bits will happen if folks sit back and wait for someone else to do it.
          I wish that I could help. Unfortunately, although I write for a living, I don't write code.

Comment

Also, if convergence is to be a real thing, Unity8 needs to be on mobile and desktops.
            I really don't understand why you would do it any other way. Your low level code is already in C++ and the GUI is done in QML, so it can easily adapt based on form factor. It's not just about convincing people to try it on mobile. You need that desktop base of users in order to do proper bug fixing and development, and to contribute back to the codebase.

Their problem is that they have a very small team of people and the project is quite large. They also have an existing userbase of people using it on their phones and they are trying to support them while moving the project forward. I don't envy the task. I've thought about contributing but I dislike C++ quite a bit. I might do it anyway, or work on improving the QML side. More choice is good, and of the non-GTK projects I find Unity 8 the most interesting.

Apparently Canonical experimented with bringing React Native to the Linux desktop, which was very insightful. Imagine if you as a developer could write your UI code in JS and target Android, iOS, AND Ubuntu with the same codebase? That would have been awesome.

Comment

cynical, I'd love to know if you take a look. The easiest place to get started out of all of our projects is the UBports Installer, which is an Electron app for installing Ubuntu Touch on our supported devices. There's also plenty of JS, GNOME-style C, and other languages if any of them fancy you...

If you'd like to know more, you can PM me or reply with what you're interested in with more detail. I might be able to point you in the right direction.
              Last edited by UniversalSuperBox; 21 January 2020, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X