Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sway 1.3 Release Candidate Brings Many Changes For This i3-Inspired Wayland Compositor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway 1.3 Release Candidate Brings Many Changes For This i3-Inspired Wayland Compositor

Phoronix: Sway 1.3 Release Candidate Brings Many Changes For This i3-Inspired Wayland Compositor

Drew DeVault released Sway 1.3 RC1 on New Year's Eve as the latest test release for this increasingly popular i3-inspired Wayland compositor built off his WLROOTS library...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been using Sway exclusively on my laptop and desktop for the past few months... I feel like it's given me back control over how I use my PC.

Doesn't get in the way, once properly set up, and I am able to focus on my work instead of getting distracted with eye candy.

I've used i3 in the past, but it's 2020 now and I prefer running Wayland instead of X.

I know this is not for everybody, but I'm very keyboard oriented, so it's great for me.
    I'm going to upgrade to 1.3RC1 today, let's see how this could get any better. :-)

Comment

The only Wayland compositor that doesn't let me down for regular non-gaming usage. I couldn't make it crash even once.

Comment

I use sway as my daily driver with panther_launcher / slingshot on a scratchpad and ly as my login manager.

It's pretty good, most apps work fine except kdenlive and maybe photoshop wine (it has resizing issues among others I can't recall since I haven't tried in a while).

Other than that it's really refreshing to divorce the idea of a Monolithic Desktop Shell -- where if you want to use X-Shell you must use Y-Text-Editor instead of Z-Text-Editor because XX Toolkit is the only one that works well with X-Shell, and then you get 3 different File Choosers and a clusterfuck of changes regularly.

I think Monolithic Shells have their place, since some users really need a consistent computing experience, it's just that I think the Unix Principle of "Do one thing and do it well" is a better approach to Desktop GUIs.

Only thing I would add to Tiling Window Managers is the ability to select a Window layout for the workspace prior to launching windows (Say number squares 1 through 3) and on app launch you see a indicator and press the corresponding number to tell the window which geometry position to take. I am not super into the "Split H", "Split V", and constant "Cursor Resizes" to get the layout I want when I could have that information pre-defined.

Comment

I've been using sway as my main wm from 1.0 RCs. Before that I went back and forth because at that time sway wasn't ready. At the time 1.0 was released it was ready. This is how to do proper version numbering.

I once tried to incorporate sway as xfce window manager. It was pretty glitchy. Maybe just lack of understanding few things...

Anyway. Sway is now rock solid and functions perfectly with or without mouse.

Comment

I also use Sway as my main WM and I am very satisfied: it is lightweight and it never crashes. I love the way I can customize my desktop with Sway.
            Like Waybar, it is getting better with every release.

More and more applications offer Wayland support. Firefox 71 with Wayland enabled is very nice, it is as well as Firefox with X.
            I hope Wayland support in Electron will arrive in 2020...

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
              Other than that it's really refreshing to divorce the idea of a Monolithic Desktop Shell -- where if you want to use X-Shell you must use Y-Text-Editor instead of Z-Text-Editor because XX Toolkit is the only one that works well with X-Shell
              What is this Monolithic Desktop Shell you are talking about, because KDE and GNOME sure don't work like that.

Comment

Sway is pretty awesome! The only thing that is still holding me back from switching from i3 and using it as my daily driver is the blurryness of X11 Windows in my HiDPI display. I know there is a solution in development [1], but it has been almost a year and it is still not merged.

[1] https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/...e_requests/111

Comment

Lycanthropist, so gui apps that run on XWayland aren't scaled properly if you have set scaling (to other than 1 or 100%) in you wayland compositor?

Comment

Originally posted by Zucca View Post
                    Lycanthropist, so gui apps that run on XWayland aren't scaled properly if you have set scaling (to other than 1 or 100%) in you wayland compositor?
                    Yes, see this issue: https://github.com/swaywm/sway/issues/2966
                    Even though it is closed, there is still no solution.

Comment

Working...
                    X