X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    That's true, I have two friends that are into image recognition and ML and they both tell me virtually any framework worth anything is CUDA-only.

But to be fair, Nvidia support is not a problem with Wayland, but with Wayland implementations. Weston used GBM and somehow the whole world got stuck on that. That's the real problem. Gnome yielded eventually and implemented EGL Streams support, but I think KDE still doesn't want to do that.
    KDE added EGLStreams support.

It just works really poorly with broken Xwayland at the moment (no hw acceleration).
    Last edited by Britoid; 29 December 2019, 09:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
    There is simply no alternative to Nvidia for performance, feature set and efficiency. Whether you like it or not, this is the fact .Maybe your iGPU or your Radeon HD5870 is enough for your use case, but for most people there is no alternative to Nvidia hence until wayland supports it, it will remain a silly joke.
    That's true, I have two friends that are into image recognition and ML and they both tell me virtually any framework worth anything is CUDA-only.

But to be fair, Nvidia support is not a problem with Wayland, but with Wayland implementations. Weston used GBM and somehow the whole world got stuck on that. That's the real problem. Gnome yielded eventually and implemented EGL Streams support, but I think KDE still doesn't want to do that.

Leave a comment:

• Almindor
    replied

No it doesnt.

There is simply no alternative to Nvidia for performance, feature set and efficiency. Whether you like it or not, this is the fact .Maybe your iGPU or your Radeon HD5870 is enough for your use case, but for most people there is no alternative to Nvidia hence until wayland supports it, it will remain a silly joke.
    Sorry but I can't hear you over playing latest AAA titles via ProtonDB on my RX580...

Leave a comment:

• pinguinpc
    replied
    There is simply no alternative to Nvidia for performance, feature set and efficiency.
    yeah for disgrace amd need seriously drop gcn for make completly new gpu core

is incredible as gtx 1650 super 12nm use at max around 100w and rx 5500 7nm at max use 135w / 170w (furmark)

before situation dont look good because amd dont make offer same nvidia 12nm efficiency still using 7nm

7nm ampere nvidia must be put amd in serious troubles specially in efficiency

maybe amd can offer better prices for example: rx 5500 4gb at 120us and rx 5500 8gb at 150us will be interesting

back to wayland dont matter for now, maybe in future when more apps stay properly supported

Last edited by pinguinpc; 29 December 2019, 07:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Baguy
    replied
    Plasma Wayland works okay for me on my laptop, I've been using it for about 4 months now with fractional scaling through Kscreen doctor. The only major issue i have left is that windows like to randomly loose focus. Firefox is the most annoying when it happens, because I'll be browsing the web and right click a link, only for it to loose focus and i can't do anything until i minimize/restore the window a few times to regain mouse/keyboard focus.

Leave a comment:

• jrch2k8
    replied

If your RX570 suits your needs then good for you, but dont pretend that its anything other than a low/mid range offering or that it can compete with 9/10/20 series nvidia..
    Well, i don't get the pretend because it is a mid range card, so... also i think you mean 2000 series card because this card with my current voltage tweaks destroys the 980ti and most of the non super 10 series which are mid range as well and AMD have cards that compete fairly well up to the 2070, from there i agree nVidia reigns alone.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    The fact that you think graphics cards are only for gaming means we have nothing further to discuss.
    I said
    or not care about display at all (server).

(server)

but ok, keep your secrets I guess.

Leave a comment:

• 240Hz
    replied
    Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

Can you elaborate? because i have an RX570 8Gb + Ryzen 5 2600(got it like dirty cheap few weeks ago) and basically there is no game i cannot play maxxed at 1080p60(not going to 4k until mid 2020 when monitor go a bit lower in price), also got full video de/encode acceleration working like a charm, vulkan(RADV) works like a boss, undervolting with WattmanGTK works flawlessly, got working OpenCL-1.2, etc. Outside CUDA i don't get what you mean ...
    If your RX570 suits your needs then good for you, but dont pretend that its anything other than a low/mid range offering or that it can compete with 9/10/20 series nvidia..

Leave a comment:

• 240Hz
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    For low end and midrange AMD is comparable or better. For high end you should be either on Windows (gaming) or not care about display at all (server).

So you need to compare to a 10 years old AMD card to say NVIDIA is better? Cool story bro.
    The fact that you think graphics cards are only for gaming means we have nothing further to discuss.

Leave a comment:

• jrch2k8
    replied
    There is simply no alternative to Nvidia for performance, feature set and efficiency.
    Can you elaborate? because i have an RX570 8Gb + Ryzen 5 2600(got it like dirty cheap few weeks ago) and basically there is no game i cannot play maxxed at 1080p60(not going to 4k until mid 2020 when monitor go a bit lower in price), also got full video de/encode acceleration working like a charm, vulkan(RADV) works like a boss, undervolting with WattmanGTK works flawlessly, got working OpenCL-1.2, etc. Outside CUDA i don't get what you mean ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X