No announcement yet.

Wayland's Wild Decade From v1.0 Release To Usable GNOME/KDE Desktop Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma Wayland works okay for me on my laptop, I've been using it for about 4 months now with fractional scaling through Kscreen doctor. The only major issue i have left is that windows like to randomly loose focus. Firefox is the most annoying when it happens, because I'll be browsing the web and right click a link, only for it to loose focus and i can't do anything until i minimize/restore the window a few times to regain mouse/keyboard focus.

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
      There is simply no alternative to Nvidia for performance, feature set and efficiency.
      yeah for disgrace amd need seriously drop gcn for make completly new gpu core

is incredible as gtx 1650 super 12nm use at max around 100w and rx 5500 7nm at max use 135w / 170w (furmark)

before situation dont look good because amd dont make offer same nvidia 12nm efficiency still using 7nm

7nm ampere nvidia must be put amd in serious troubles specially in efficiency

maybe amd can offer better prices for example: rx 5500 4gb at 120us and rx 5500 8gb at 150us will be interesting

back to wayland dont matter for now, maybe in future when more apps stay properly supported

Last edited by pinguinpc; 29 December 2019, 07:03 PM.

Comment

No it doesnt.

There is simply no alternative to Nvidia for performance, feature set and efficiency. Whether you like it or not, this is the fact .Maybe your iGPU or your Radeon HD5870 is enough for your use case, but for most people there is no alternative to Nvidia hence until wayland supports it, it will remain a silly joke.
        Sorry but I can't hear you over playing latest AAA titles via ProtonDB on my RX580...

Comment

There is simply no alternative to Nvidia for performance, feature set and efficiency. Whether you like it or not, this is the fact .Maybe your iGPU or your Radeon HD5870 is enough for your use case, but for most people there is no alternative to Nvidia hence until wayland supports it, it will remain a silly joke.
          That's true, I have two friends that are into image recognition and ML and they both tell me virtually any framework worth anything is CUDA-only.

But to be fair, Nvidia support is not a problem with Wayland, but with Wayland implementations. Weston used GBM and somehow the whole world got stuck on that. That's the real problem. Gnome yielded eventually and implemented EGL Streams support, but I think KDE still doesn't want to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            That's true, I have two friends that are into image recognition and ML and they both tell me virtually any framework worth anything is CUDA-only.

But to be fair, Nvidia support is not a problem with Wayland, but with Wayland implementations. Weston used GBM and somehow the whole world got stuck on that. That's the real problem. Gnome yielded eventually and implemented EGL Streams support, but I think KDE still doesn't want to do that.
            KDE added EGLStreams support.

It just works really poorly with broken Xwayland at the moment (no hw acceleration).
            Last edited by Britoid; 29 December 2019, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

KDE added EGLStreams support.
              Ok, that's progress.

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
              It just works really poorly and XWayland works really poorly under Nvidia at the moment (no hw acceleration).
              And that's consistency, I guess.

Comment

Here's to looking to ten more years when Wayland as a fully functional default display server is only another 10 more years out from that point! Wayland 2040.
                Last edited by kenjitamura; 29 December 2019, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Ok, that's progress.

And that's consistency, I guess.
                  I reworded it, was missing my coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
                    Until Nvidia follows proper standards ....
                    EGLStreams is a standard. So is GBM. So both are proper standards. There are certainly some projects that don't want to implement both standards, and that is their right, but they also need to own that decision (i.e. state they don't want to implement all the standards). And in any case, nvidia contributed code for both Gnome and KDE so both now work in current releases.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                      kenjitamura Wayland is fully functional on GNOME. Stop blaming Wayland in general.
                      See this misconception irks me so bad, but you're not the only one. You can't say wayland is fully functional on Gnome, all you can say is that Gnome is almost fully functional when using Mutter's wayland support. Wayland is not the thing, Mutter is the thing. Wayland is an extremely minimal display protocol, Mutter implements wayland along with quite a lot of other things so that Gnome can be complete.

EDIT: The same is also true in reference to KDE, kwin is the thing. Wayland is implemented, but there is quite a lot more work that needs done so that kwin is fully functional with wayland support so that KDE can be complete.
                      Last edited by duby229; 30 December 2019, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X