Wayland's Wild Decade From v1.0 Release To Usable GNOME/KDE Desktop Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland's Wild Decade From v1.0 Release To Usable GNOME/KDE Desktop Support

Phoronix: Wayland's Wild Decade From v1.0 Release To Usable GNOME/KDE Desktop Support

The 2010s saw the release of Wayland 1.0, Ubuntu's Mir initially being a "competitor" to now embracing Wayland, desktop environments like GNOME and KDE now having good support for it as an alternative to X11, and other functionality continues to be added to Wayland compositors and its standard protocols...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Usable"

Comment

I think I missed that day when KDE became usable with wayland session. A week ago it was still unusable.

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
        I think I missed that day when KDE became usable with wayland session. A week ago it was still unusable.
        *For some value of usable.

Not very usable for much of anything outside of a fairly narrow range of hardware and software combinations.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

*For some value of usable.

Not very usable for much of anything outside of a fairly narrow range of hardware and software combinations.
          Well, if you have an AMD GPU(at least i can certify TAHITI, Cape Verde and ELLESMERE) and Gnome 3.30+(3.34 is best tho) wayland work very very well almost perfect i would dare to say.

Caveat: this is on ArchLinux but i can assume this will be very hit or miss on cycle distros since those tend to have old LLVM/mesa releases compared to upstream hence i'm not sure you get all the benefits right away

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

Well, if you have an AMD GPU(at least i can certify TAHITI, Cape Verde and ELLESMERE) and Gnome 3.30+(3.34 is best tho) wayland work very very well almost perfect i would dare to say.

Caveat: this is on ArchLinux but i can assume this will be very hit or miss on cycle distros since those tend to have old LLVM/mesa releases compared to upstream hence i'm not sure you get all the benefits right away
            not true, since mir dead nobody make effords for wayland

Comment

Stop the GNOME indoctrination already! khnazile was talking about KDE.

Comment

Usable... hahahahahaha
                working != usable

Comment

I'm on Arch with Gnome and AMD RX580 and things work pretty well for me, including proton and native steam games and others. The most prevalent bug I hit is the "gnome top panel offset" on maximizing to fullscreen or re-entering fullscreen. It seems to be a gnome bug in that it forces the window handler libs to "refresh" geometry when not expected.

Otherwise I'd say it's better than Xorg used to be.

Comment

Which doesn't negate what I said. Wayland has a very narrow range of support where it's "usable". I personally despise Gnome, which makes Wayland pretty useless for me and my hardware.

Comment

Working...
                    X