• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deadite66 View Post
    "Usable"
    I use gnome on wayland every day on my laptop, it works fine

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      Gusar Sorry but that’s reality. There’s no need to deal with other compositors. There’s no benefit from dealing with other compositors.

So why would they want to do that? Like I said, if people want to collaborate then they can just use Mutter and help develop it. Like endlessm and Canonical did.
      I'm not an expert but if I've understood it right mutter isn't actually a stand-alone Wayland Compositor. The compositor is actually Gnome Shell/mutter when mutter almost acts as a library. Various tools report Gnome Shell as the actual compositor. You cannot separate each other due to how Gnome developers have implemented them on Wayland (in comparison with X where mutter can actually be used without Gnome Shell). So you cannot use Wayland mutter with xfce4-panel or with mate-panel, without using the Gnome Shell. If that was the case I'm sure that many projects with have preferred to use Wayland mutter in the future for their Wayland transition. But the only options seem to be Mir, kwin_wayland and maybe sway since it has a floating windows mode too.
      Last edited by ThanosApostolou; 02 January 2020, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post

Just out of curiosity, what sort of issues do you see with Vulkan and Wayland?
        Simply could not get it to work. Spent days trying out every driver version there is, changing settings, boot parameters and whatnot, and while it worked flawlessly under X11 I could never get Vulkan to initialize with Wayland on nvidia. Not really sure where the issue was, but after a while I just gave up. Used Wayland for work related tasks (worked better on multi monitor setup) and then just switched to an X11 session if I ever wanted to game or similar. But from googling the issue, nvidia+wayland+vulkan seems to be a real headache (not sure if anyone at all got it working).

Comment

Originally posted by stingray454 View Post
          Simply could not get it to work. Spent days trying out every driver version there is, changing settings, boot parameters and whatnot, and while it worked flawlessly under X11 I could never get Vulkan to initialize with Wayland on nvidia.

I did get the nouveau driver to work with wayland setups. Performance was bad due to the firmware problems. Really you cannot do very much with Nvidia when you run into the problem that there binary driver is fairly much X11 or nothing in many places.

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...t-without-x11/

This here shows the Nvidia mind set really well. AMD and Intel options are fine. Nvidia options are basically dead until they wake up hey there are use cases where we need stuff to work without X11 that need to be taken serous-ally.

Comment

I'm using GNOME 3 + Wayland with a nvidia GTX 970 with proprietary driver for more than 2 years now. No big issues I can remember of, I even play games with Steam, use Firefox and Chromium since day 1, all without hassle.

I've no idea about how that works, I don't know if every program is working via X on Wayland.

Comment

Working...
            X