Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 240Hz
    replied
    Until it starts working with nvidia cards, wayland will remain an unusable joke

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Firefox and Chrome still don't officially support Wayland yet.
    Although some distros have been shipping Firefox with wayland support for a bit now.

As I recall the issue with chromium is that while ozone/wayland is reasonably mature, there is still work to do on migrating X11 to ozone/X11, and Google wants to be able to ship a single version (not one that uses the legacy X11 support, and a different that uses ozone/wayland, there will only be ozone moving forward).

When the ozone/X11 work is finally ready and released the various electron based apps should be able to take advantage of that capability. Google has suggested that ozone/X11 is a priority. Of course, release schedules are unknowable.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
    I think the tide will turn with Wayland once an Ubuntu LTS turns it on by default. Have Canonical said what they're going to do with 20.04 in this regard?
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ault-20.04-LTS

Leave a comment:

• kaprikawn
    replied
    I think the tide will turn with Wayland once an Ubuntu LTS turns it on by default. Have Canonical said what they're going to do with 20.04 in this regard?

Once that happens I think it'll be incumbent on programs to support Wayland by virtue of the amount of hassle they'll get from users who complain and/or raise bugs that are to do with not being Wayland native. At that point I think the cost/benefit analysis of whether to devote resources to supporting Wayland will push devs to invest the effort. They'll be a few holdouts I'm sure, but on the whole I think Wayland will start to be the default target and X.org usage will start to decline fast.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Firefox and Chrome still don't officially support Wayland yet.
    Wayland supports works pretty good in Firefox nightly though.

GIMP still is on GTK 2. They are working on GTK 3 support though.
    VLC still does not support Wayland, they still on VLC 3, but working on VLC 4.

Electron is based on Chromium, hence does not support Wayland yet either. So all Electron-based apps such as Atom, Spotify, Skype, VS Code, etc.

Leave a comment:

• stormcrow
    replied
    Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

Well, if you have an AMD GPU(at least i can certify TAHITI, Cape Verde and ELLESMERE) and Gnome 3.30+(3.34 is best tho) wayland work very very well almost perfect i would dare to say.

Caveat: this is on ArchLinux but i can assume this will be very hit or miss on cycle distros since those tend to have old LLVM/mesa releases compared to upstream hence i'm not sure you get all the benefits right away
    Which doesn't negate what I said. Wayland has a very narrow range of support where it's "usable". I personally despise Gnome, which makes Wayland pretty useless for me and my hardware.

Leave a comment:

• Almindor
    replied
    I'm on Arch with Gnome and AMD RX580 and things work pretty well for me, including proton and native steam games and others. The most prevalent bug I hit is the "gnome top panel offset" on maximizing to fullscreen or re-entering fullscreen. It seems to be a gnome bug in that it forces the window handler libs to "refresh" geometry when not expected.

Otherwise I'd say it's better than Xorg used to be.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Usable... hahahahahaha
    working != usable

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied

Well, if you have an AMD GPU(at least i can certify TAHITI, Cape Verde and ELLESMERE) and Gnome 3.30+(3.34 is best tho) wayland work very very well almost perfect i would dare to say.

Caveat: this is on ArchLinux but i can assume this will be very hit or miss on cycle distros since those tend to have old LLVM/mesa releases compared to upstream hence i'm not sure you get all the benefits right away
    Stop the GNOME indoctrination already! khnazile was talking about KDE.

Leave a comment:

• andre30correia
    replied

not true, since mir dead nobody make effords for wayland

Leave a comment:

Working...
X